jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The In’s and Out’s of Campus Dining

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Finding healthy, affordable, and delicious meal options can be a real struggle in college but it doesn’t always have to be. Yes, I admit the food on campus can sometimes use major help and since Trivette dining hall is closed for remodeling, more and more students are flocking to Central for their meals. But what can you do when the food is just not up to par? Stock up your dorm room with a select variety of cheap and healthy foods and you’ve got a great escape plan from the monotony of food services.

Buy fresh fruits and veggies when possible.

College students are known for their horrible diets consisting mainly of foods high in saturated fats, calories, and sodium. Keep some balance in your diet by eating as many fruits and vegetables as you can. It’s hard to find decent vegetable sides in the dining hall so when you can get your hands on fresh alternatives, go for it!

Don’t succumb to the allure of the market.

It can be so easy to take a quick stroll through one of the markets on campus and buy a few things with your monopoly money but don’t let the trip get out of hand! Go for things like oatmeal, granola bars, crackers, cereal, soup, canned veggies, and the occasional lean cuisine and you won’t be wasting your money on junk.

Stock up on quick breakfast options.

Do yourself a favor and start the day off right with a good breakfast to keep you focused in class. Going to a morning class on an empty stomach makes staying attentive a huge challenge. Even if you don’t typically eat breakfast in the mornings make time for a small granola bar or handful of nuts and dried fruit, every little bit helps! This way you’ll be less likely to reach for a cheeseburger or pizza at lunch and can make a healthier choice.

[pagebreak]

Dorm Pantry Staples:

• Whole Grain Cereals: Shredded Wheat, Honey Nut Cheerios
  • Instant Oatmeal
  • Granola Bars: Nature Valley, Clif Bars
  • Dried Fruit: craisins, raisins, apricots
  • Yogurt
  • Whole Grain Crackers
  • Cheese and Deli Meat
  • Milk
  • Hot Tea
  • Canned Soup
  • Frozen/Canned Veggies
  • Bread
  • Instant Rice/Potatoes
  • Almonds and Peanuts
  • Honey
  • Canned Tuna/Chicken
  • Wheat Tortillas
  • Salsa

Make a game plan for your meals everyday.

If you know you’ve got a huge break between classes in the middle of the day, use that time to prepare a lunch that’s both nutritious and satisfying! Taking the time to plan out what you’ll eat throughout the day will make you more conscious of the decision making that happens when you choose which foods to eat and which to skip. At the end of the day you can feel confident about sticking by a plan that works for you!

Know what’s good on campus.

There are generally two rules I try to stick to when eating at food services on campus and that is: avoid the downstairs in Central at all costs and don’t over-do the mac and cheese at McAlister’s. Now I could come up with a few more rules for eating on campus but you pretty much have to figure out what works for you. Usually, the salad bar in the upstairs of Central has a good selection of fresh veggies and the beans and rice special in Cascades is always a good on-the-go stand by. Figure out what you like the best at each place and stick with it! Chances are if you have to second-guess a food option, you’re better off giving it a pass.

Alla Hill

App State

Alla Hill is a Junior at Appalachian State University working towards a degreee in Nutrition and Foods with a concentration in Dietetics. She is originally from Greenville, SC but loves being able to call the High Country home for now! Alla's interests include creative writing, hiking, shoe shopping, cooking with friends, collecting bumper stickers, and tumblr blogging.