Culture > News

If You Haven’t Already, You Should Probably Vote

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

With October and the spooky, fall season well on their way, another equally important season is just on the horizon: election season. That means it’s time for everyone who’s eligible to head out to the polls (or rather, stay inside) and vote. In most areas of North Carolina, the General and Special Election voting periods end on November 3, and that includes the date on mailed-in absentee ballots.

When I was 16, I registered to vote at my high school so that I would be ready to engage in upcoming elections when I was old enough. I know some individuals don’t have early access to voter registration like I did, so it’s important to register whenever and however you can, and to always do your research.

Since then, I have mailed my absentee ballots home from college in order to vote in the elections in my hometown. Some college students may disagree with this practice, but my vote feels put more to use there than in a college town. I also enjoy filling out the ballot in the comfort of my own home, as well as the freedom to take as long as I need and do follow up research on candidates on the spot. In times of COVID, I also highly suggest signing up for an absentee ballot in order to keep you and yours healthy and safe at home. Just last week, I mailed in my absentee ballot for the presidential election – unfortunately, there was no fun “I voted” sticker provided in the envelope. 

I know it can get annoying sometimes, especially on a college campus having everybody and their grandmother asking you, “have you registered to vote?” But, it is important to answer truthfully, especially if you are unregistered; the process is fairly quick and painless, and even less so if you do it yourself online.

Take it from an introvert like me, it is a feeling unlike any other when you can respond to that question with a resounding “yes,” and walk away to continue about your daily business.

Voting doesn’t have to be scary or controversial. You never have to disclose with anyone else who you voted for or why – the “I Voted” sticker is really all the explanation you need to show others who try to get a rise out of you.

It doesn’t matter who you vote for, where you vote, or even when – as long as you feel strong and confident about your decisions and send those choices in on time. Your voice should be heard, and only you have the power to make that difference.

As always, especially with an election as important as a presidential election, the most important thing you can do is show up for what you believe in.  If you are in need of some non-partisan voting assistance, here are some resources to send you on your way to the polls! Good luck!

Caroline is a senior English major at Appalachian State University concentrating in Film Studies with a minor in Theatre Arts. After she graduates in the spring of 2021, Caroline hopes to either work abroad teaching English as a second language, in the American school system or artistically to pursue creative writing. Caroline has been a member of HerCampus App State since 2019. Along with being its 2020 - 2021 Campus Correspondent, she has also held the positions of Senior Editor, Social Media Director, and was a part of the Campus Trendsetter Program.