This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

If anyone would have told me when I was in the eighth grade that I would be meeting someone from the Bachelor franchise, I wouldn’t have believed them.

Meeting anyone from The Bachelor franchise is not something that was on my 2022 bingo card, but that’s exactly what happened over the summer.

Those in the franchise are rarely ever from North Carolina, and when they are, they typically don’t last long in the show. At least not long enough to come to North Carolina if they’re a contestant.

A North Carolina native, Matt James, became the first black bachelor in the franchise. He faced certain criticism that others before him did not, and backlash when he chose Rachael Kirkconnell. Rachael was a controversial pick when news came out of her racist past. It was a choice he went back and forth on and one America will have to deal with if they care so much.

He had a book released in 2022 titled First Impressions where he details his upbringing, Bachelor journey, behind the scenes with Rachael, and more. Since he released a book, he decided to come give out free copies of it along with free dinner.

He had the event at his favorite eatery in North Carolina; the Char-Grill in Cary. I didn’t get there as early as I would’ve liked to. I’m horrid at time management and I stopped on the way there to get flowers.

The amount of people there was more than I had thought. A few cars even stopped to ask the crowd what was going on. It was May, and the evening was hot. A slight breeze helped, but not enough to keep me from making sure my appearance was maintained. Despite not coming as early as I wanted to, I managed to get a pretty good spot. 

My hands were sweaty as I held my phone and my flowers. I smiled a little when a group of girls near me noticed the flowers and said that they wished they had thought of that.

After about thirty minutes, or maybe even an hour, they opened the Char-Grill and started letting people in four at a time.

I am aware that those in The Bachelor franchise aren’t exactly celebrities or hold a certain celebrity status, but it was still surreal to see someone that you’ve seen on tv, in person.

Finally, it was my turn. I was nervous. I was by myself, and I am small. If you didn’t know, Matt James and Rachael Kirkconnell are tall. 

I gave him and Rachael the flowers and greeted his mother. He handed me a book and we started talking. He asked me what High School I went to (he’s heard of it apparently), what college I go to, and Rachael reflected his energy. Matt guided the conversation, and Rachael chimed in occasionally. I got to ask them some questions too. Apparently, Matt loves North Carolina. 

Of course, our conversation had to be wrapped up. It was time to take pictures! I didn’t miss a beat and asked if we could do a Boomerang. He struggled to take them since my phone was being slow, but I managed to get two Boomerangs. Then it was time for a normal photo which I thought I wasn’t going to get since I didn’t come with anyone. Luckily for me, the girls who I was near in line offered to take some. 

Rachael and Matt gave me a group hug and the meet-and-greet was over for me. I left happy and still sort of in disbelief that that had happened. 

Sometimes I can’t believe that I actually went and did that, since it’s kind of random. Another part of me is glad though, because I had the opportunity and I took it.

Thankfully, Matt and Rachael were nice and I don’t have a tainted experience with meeting them. I hope the same rings true with everyone else they meet.

Sophia Alayna

App State '24

Sophia is a Senior at Appalachian State University. She is pursuing a degree in English Creative Writing and Gender, Women's, & Sexualities studies! Sophia enjoys writing, getting in her feels, and creating/maintaining connections with loved ones.