How to Transition Your Relationship from High School to College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

High school relationships can be tough. But what happens to these relationships after high school ends? Is it possible to transition relationships from high school to college? This is a question thousands of teens face every year and the answers may seem simpler than you imagined.

Make each other a priority
College can and will get hectic. There are hundreds of organizations to join, sororities/fraternities to rush, classes and parties to attend, and work that needs to be done. With all of that, time management can seem impossible, especially with a relationship thrown into the mix. Making each other a priority aides in keeping your relationship strong. Going to the same school? Have a sit-down date night once a week. Hundreds of miles apart? Make Skype and texting your best friend. And remember, you don’t have to attend every event you’re invited to! Sometimes it’s best to have a night in with your beau.

Become each others support system

College is stressful. Instead of taking this stress out on each other (which is extremely easy to do) become each other’s support system. Listening to your significant other while they’re upset not only helps with overall communication in the relationship, but it adds a sense of trust. Being away from family and lifelong friends can be hard, so it’s nice to have someone you can go to whenever you need support.

Do separate things
While making each other a priority is important, doing separate things is just as important. College is a once in a lifetime experience and when you graduate, you want to look back on your experience as positive. Just because you’re dating someone, doesn’t mean you can’t have fun with new friends. Some of the best nights I’ve had have been girls’ nights sans boyfriend. Plus, it’s really fun sharing stories of all the crazy things you and your friends do together with your boyfriend.

Realize you’re adults now
This is definitely easier said than done. In high school, couples are constantly breaking up, making up and getting back together. And that’s completely acceptable. However, in college, relationships are generally low-key and breakups are even more discreet. Remember that you are an adult and constant break ups will only hurt your relationship in the long run. Try to work out any problems you have as calm as possible and remember that no one is perfect and everyone makes mistakes!

I'm a junior journalism major from Fayetteville, North Carolina and I attend Appalachian State University. I'm the News Editor for The Appalachian and a writer for Her Campus - Appalachian State.
Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!