This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

If you have ever found yourself bored out of your mind while watching sports or sports-related television with your significant other, don’t worry, you are not alone in this. I know some girls who love sports, and if you are one of those girls, more power to you! But when I started dating my current boyfriend it was a real struggle to sit through 12 hours of college football every Saturday (I’m not joking, literally 12 hours).  I never grew up watching football or basketball, so I was obviously in a constant state of confusion when watching hours upon hours of ESPN with my boyfriend and his roommates. However, I have grown to really enjoy watching sports due to my determination to understand what the heck was actually going on. So, if you are in the same boat I was, here are some tips that will help you become a football watching pro:

1. Do some research:

It really helps to be able to understand the lingo, plays, and rules of the game. It can sometimes seem like people who are sports fanatics have their own language. If you understand the basics, the rest will follow quickly. It also helps to do some research on popular players. Some athletes have really interesting stories and backgrounds which make for good conversation starters during game time. And everyone will be impressed when you know a lot about a certain player.  

2. Pay attention:

It is easy to start scrolling through Instagram when the game gets boring, but try and focus on what’s happening and join in on the conversation. Even in boring games, you learn something new! So put your phone away and try and be in the moment. The boring games are probably the hardest ones to get through, but just try and be patient and learn the game.

3. Get in to it:

Go buy a jersey or a team t-shirt to wear while watching to game. My boyfriend gave me his old Panthers jersey and I wore it to every game; it sounds weird, but I felt like a much better fan when I had actual team apparel to wear. It always helps to look cute while sitting on the couch eating greasy pizza or chicken wings. Get loud when something good happens or when the referee makes a bad call. It is way more fun to be an active and loud watcher than just sitting on the couch in silence.

4. Appreciate it:

All of the athletes you see on TV are really talented at what they do. Some of the plays you see are absolutely amazing. Try to appreciate and admire the skill and talent these players have. I also learned to appreciate it because my boyfriend loves it so much, and I can sacrifice an episode of “19 Kids and Counting” to watch an Alabama football game once a week.

http://www.nflshop.com/Carolina_Panthers_Women_T-Shirts/Womens_Carolina_…

http://www.paulstv.com/blogs/directv-vs-dish-network-which-one-has-the-c…

Alli Cook

App State

Appalachian State UniversitySeniorPublic Relations and Marketing