How Social Media Might Be Ruining Your GPA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

It seems that today everyone is always on social media, but how is spending all of that time on things like Instagram, Pinterest, and Snapchat affecting your study habits and your GPA?

Odds are, not well. For most of us, if we take a look back over the last few weeks, we will remember at least one time where something waited until the last minute, or didn’t get done because of social media.

Here are a few tips to ensure that surfing your feeds doesn’t hurt your grades! 

1. Lock your phone up

Sometimes “out of mind, out of sight” is the best policy when trying to avoid scrolling. It will help you get your work done and you will have more time for social media later.

2. Give your phone to a friend

This is a really good idea only if you have a really close friend or family member who you know you can trust with your phone. This is useful because you may not have the perseverance to keep away from your phone, but your friend will probably keep you away from your phone.

3. Leave your phone in your room

Most of us are not so busy that if we leave our phones in our room for a few hours while we go to the lobby or the library to study that we will have 50 very important missed calls when we get back. Unless you are expecting to hear from your mother, you should be okay leaving your phone or computer behind.

But putting down your electronics doesn’t just benefit your GPA, it has other benefits too.

1. Faster Devices

Being on your phone or computer for long periods of time makes your device slower, so giving it a break is beneficial for you and your device.

2. Less headaches and better vision

Staring at your computer screen can overstimulate your eyes and cause headaches. Even worse, a lot of time staring at screens can cause your vision to deteriorate, meaning that in about 20 years, there are going to be a lot of nearly blind people out there trying to see their giant phone screens.

3.  More Experiences

If you spend less time on social media, you can spend more time doing fun things like slack lining and sleeping!

Sydney Sharpstene is a freshman at App State. She is a Secondary English Education Major and plans to be a high school english teacher when she graduates. Sydney is from Greensboro NC and likes to swim, slack line and sing in her free time.