How to Make Your Eyes Look Bigger With Make-Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

So, if you’re like me, your eyes never really grew to the full Angelina Jolie size that is definitely realistic to want. Unfortunately, modern medicine has yet to invent an eye enlarging surgery or some magical cream that will make you look like a rock star, so I was forced to spend much of my awkward teen phase learning how to make my eyes look bigger with department store make-up. I may not be Pinterest, but I think that I have figured out an easy way to get the job done and I promise you probably already have all the things that I use.

First of all, if you have large eyebrows (lucky me, I got ones as big as the eyes I wanted) it’s best to keep them trim. If you’re not brave enough to wax them, Wal Mart has tweezers for about a dollar. I suggest always trimming them from the bottom rather than from the top in order to open up the top portion of your eye.

Once your eyebrows are looking hot, apply some brown eye shadow to make them pop and to emphasize the shape. Now considering that those of you reading this are probably college students, I can imagine sleep is hard to come by. You probably have some tired looking eyes. Don’t be ashamed, it means you’re enjoying life. I’ve discovered that applying a foundation that’s a little on the heavy side all around your eye will instantly brighten them. It will cover all the hours you missed studying, or whatever it was you missed. Check out my awesome selfie eye pic:

If you’re planning on applying eye shadow, skip the foundation on the eyelid because the eye shadow sticks less when it’s already covered. Considering this is for everyday wear, I will not be using eye shadow on this tutorial.

[pagebreak]

The next step is to apply the eyeliner. First of all I never apply eyeliner to the bottom part of my eye. Always the top. Having eyeliner all around the eye closes it off. I’m not saying the right person couldn’t pull it off, kudos to you if you’re one of them, but I know I’m not so I’m just sharing what I know. Here comes the next pic:

Oh, and I always use a pencil eyeliner instead of liquid. First of all, I do not have the talent for that, but either way I find that it smudges just enough to emphasize (and look sexy).

The last and most important part of this whole thing is my best friend, mascara. I. Love. This. Stuff. You will rarely find me in public without it. I’ve tried pretty much every one out there but the brand that I always come back to is One by One Volum’ Express by Maybelline. This is like va va voom. Stuff. Check it:

Right?! This stuff rocks. It is the best.

Here’s the before and after:

Hope this works for you! Even if it doesn’t make your eyes look that much bigger, maybe it’ll just be a new look for school. 

Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!