How to Get Involved With Leadership on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Getting involved with leadership opportunities on campus is a great way to open the door to new people, events, and clubs while expanding your resume for future jobs. It’s always worth it to have some leadership experience under your belt in preperation for your future. It’s hard to get started though if leadership is something you’re not familiar with. Here are some ways to get yourself out there!

1. The best club for people in look of developing their leadership skills is by far Emerging Leaders. It’s designed specifically for people who are just starting out with their leadship. Even though it’s geared towards freshman, many sophomores, juniors, and a few seniors have done this organization. It’s once a week for 2 hours, with a different topic of leadership development to focus on each week. You learn which leadership skills you’re strongest at while strengthening those you’re less familiar with. It’s not a class, so a lot of the lessons are taught through games and activitites. There’s also a night retreat in a cabin one weekend that’s some of the most fun you’ll have all year. New members are chosen on a semester by semester basis and interviews are held at the beginning of the semester. Stop by the CSIL office and pick up a brochure!

[pagebreak]

2. One of the easiest ways to earn a leadership position is to apply or run for one within a club that you’re already a member of. If you don’t feel prepared for something with a lot of responsibility, many clubs have smaller positions with less to oversee that could ease you in to having a leadership position. Ask your president for a list of all the available positions and a description of what they do. There’s sure to be one that suits you! Some titles even have assistant positions available in which you would simply help that person with their duties, which is an easy way to see if you would ever be able to one day fill that spot. If you’re not a member of any clubs, pick an interest of yours and start looking online and asking around with your friends if there’s anything you can get involved with. 

[pagebreak]

3. Some people don’t know that Leadership Studies is actually a minor! Even if that’s not something you’re interested in, there are many leadership classes available that will help you get involved while learning about leadership skills and successful leaders. Some even count towards majors and minors that you wouldn’t expect and aren’t necessarily leadership related. If this happens, it’s certainly a worthy elective to try. I would suggest at the least trying Prinicples of Leadership. You get to organize a service project and benefit the community while getting some planning experience that will come in handy for a job one day. 

If you have any questions or need help navigating the leadership roles that Appalachian has to offer, always feel free to stop by the Center for Student Leadership and Involvement, also called CSIL, located on the second floor of the new section of the Plemmons Student Union. It’s their job to help you with leadership! And they’re always happy to help.