This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

The holidays are inching near and everyone is getting into the Christmas spirit! As college students, when these times draw close, it’s easy to become stressed out at the thought of buying gifts for family, friends, and significant others. “I can see my bank account dwindling down now” you say to yourself, as you contemplate all the gifts you have to give do this year. How do you reduce the stress of gift buying/giving and not break the bank at the same time? Here are some tips to guide you through your shopping ventures this holiday season!

1. Create a budget and stick to it: Don’t sabotage your wallet this holiday. Having a solid budget is one thing, having the self-discipline to stick to it is another! Think about the money you have to spend and how much you want to spend. Write down the decided budget in your planner or in a notebook, and save all shopping receipts to keep track of spending.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
  2. She’s makin’ a list, and checkin’ it twice: First, jot down the names of the people that you want to buy for. (It’s a good idea to do this in your planner or a notebook where your budget was written too!) Beside each name, write down an idea or type of gift you would like to give and how much money you’d like to spend. Check this list twice to make sure that you don’t forget anyone! Once you have purchased a gift for a person on the list, put a “check” by their name and write down what you got them. It seems a little much, however, organization is key and as the holidays draw closer and closer, recording the gifts you buy for people will be a huge stress reliever.                                                                                                                                           

3. Cyber Shopping: Considering the fact that this generation loves online shopping, I may be preaching to the choir here. Online shopping is such an efficient way to get things done. The pros are endless: it saves gas by not having to drive to the mall, online sales are abundant, some sites offer giftwrapping and free shipping during the holidays, and of course, you do not have to stand in those horrendous lines at the store. Fire up your MacBook and get to it!                                                                                                                                                                     
  4. Avoid impersonal gifts: Impersonal gifts are never a good idea because they say you didn’t put as much thought into buying it, regardless if you actually did or not. Many people consider gift cards to be impersonal or a little too general, so stay away from those quick and convenient gifts that show little to no thought.                                                                                                                                    
  5. Support Boone businesses and shop local: There are wonderful stores that line King Street in Downtown Boone. Highway robbery, Artwalk, Lucky Penny, Gladiola Girls, and Farmers Hardware (just to name a few) are great places to look for gifts for your friends and family. This not only gives you copious amounts of gift options, but also supports the local businesses in our sweet little town. Stay in touch with the sales and deals going on at these shops via Facebook pages!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
  6. Thank you, thank you, and thank you: While you’re buying your loved ones gifts, go ahead and buy yourself a large pack of thank you notes. It’s easy to get caught up in the holiday hustle and bustle, and forget that you’ll be getting some great gifts yourself! Thank you notes are a sincere and personal way to show gratitude. Forget emails, tweets, and Facebook posts because everyone appreciates a good handwritten note!