Holiday Gifts that will Cost You Nothing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

The holidays will soon be upon us, and if you are a broke college student like me, you might find it to be one of the most stressful times of the year. I always want to do something special for my friends and family, but never have it in my budget to go all out in my gifting.

So for you and myself, I’ve made a list of thoughtful gifts you can get for your friends and family for exactly zero dollars. That’s right you heard me, nothing. Get excited and get ready to make your holiday season special for your loved ones.

A Spotify Playlist

A thoughtful gift to get your friends is to make them a Spotify playlist. I’m currently working on one for my friend Rachel (don’t tell her) because we live multiple states apart from each other, and music is one of the things that brought us together as friends in the first place. Like me, you can put music that you used to jam to while you hung out, the music you know they like, and music that you like too. 

Make it a combination of all of your music tastes, and maybe throw in a silly choice as well. It’s the thought that counts, and best of all, it’s free to do!

Make an Audiobook

More of a bibliophile? This one’s for you. While more in-depth, it’s definitely worth the time and effort. You can record yourself reading your own or your loved one’s favorite book on your phone or laptop and send them the audio file. To keep it simple, record a favorite children’s book from your childhood for your parents and surprise them with your voice if you can’t be home for the holidays. Maybe even pair it with a video recording if it’s a picture book! Something they can listen to while you are away.

Get Crafty

Do you know how to knit, cross-stitch, embroider, or sew? If not, now is the perfect time to learn! Simple embroidered gifts, or even handmade cards, journals, or jewelry is a special way to show that you care. Get back into the crafty hobbies that you enjoyed as a kid, and make something with your hands that someone else can enjoy.

Write Some Letters

This sounds simple, but stay with me. You can make this as plain or extravagant as you want, but write letters for different occasions that your person might need them. On the outside, label your envelopes with “for a rainy day,” “for when you’re feeling down,” or “for when everything is going right.” Write as many as you can for a whole bunch of different possibilities for when your person might really need them. It’s a touching thought and that way you can always be there for them with a kind word, even if you might not be there physically.

Give Them Your Time

This may seem like we do it all the time, but just think about it. The greatest gift we can give to our loved ones is our time. Times are changing so rapidly these days, it is difficult to predict where we might be in five years, in five days. Spend time with your friends and family, tell them you love them, show them you care.

As always, keep your loved ones in your minds and hearts always. A gift can last for a while, but memories last a lifetime. Happy holidays!

Caroline is a senior English major at Appalachian State University concentrating in Film Studies with a minor in Theatre Arts. After she graduates in the spring of 2021, Caroline hopes to either work abroad teaching English as a second language, in the American school system or artistically to pursue creative writing. Caroline has been a member of HerCampus App State since 2019. Along with being its 2020 - 2021 Campus Correspondent, she has also held the positions of Senior Editor, Social Media Director, and was a part of the Campus Trendsetter Program.