Healthy Alternatives at Local Restaurants

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

With spring break quickly approaching, many of us are working hard to get bikini ready. In Boone this can be especially hard, considering all of the tempting restaurants we have in the area. So what do you do when your friends want to grab dinner tonight, but you want to stick to your diet? The best restaurants in Boone have the most tempting choices on their menu. With these healthier alternatives, you can still enjoy your favorite local spots in Boone, as well as a guilt free night out with your girls.

1. Comeback Shack

When ordering your sandwich, substitute your usual white bun with a lettuce wrap and load up on veggie toppings. Cutting out the carbs will avoid the dreaded food coma and also add to the nutritional value of your meal.

2. Boone Bagelry

Although the Bagelicious is always a favorite, try out the Vegetable Omelette, made with tomatoes, onions, peppers and mushrooms. If you want to be really healthy, substitute the regular eggs with egg whites, and leave off any sides your meal comes with. You will have a lot more energy for the rest of your day!

3. Macado’s

With hundreds of items on the menu, it is hard to narrow it down a single healthy option. Instead, try any sandwich you order in a wrap, and request a light version of whatever dressing you order.

4. Dos

ACP is always a tempting option on the menu at Dos; but next time you’re craving Mexican cuisine, try out the Pollo Salad. This hardy salad includes grilled chicken breast, lettuce, tomatoes, bell peppers, onions and cheese. For an even healthier alternative, request no cheese. This meal will leave your stomach satisfied, and give you some protein at the same time.

5. Tapp Room

Tapp Room is delicious any day of the week, especially Taco Wednesday (when the tacos are only $2). If your friends want to hit the bar this Wednesday night for the unbeatable specials, try the Chicken Tacos, but leave off the queso. It is a small modification to your meal, but it leaves off extra calories! If you choose to enjoy an alcoholic beverage, order a Michelob Ultra. This light beer only has ninety five calories and only two carbs!