He Chooses Happiness: Jeffery Crawford

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Name: Jeffrey Crawford

Age: 19

Year: Sophomore

Say hello to Jeffrey Crawford, the man on campus who choses happiness in life. Crawford, from Raleigh North Carolina, attends Appalachian State to study communications with a concentration in Electronic Media and Broadcasting. Crawford is the middle child out of three siblings. In his eyes, family means a lot.

What makes Crawford stand apart is his disorder called Phenylketonuria, PKU for short. Basically, he is missing an enzyme in his body that cannot break down phenylalanine, which is in proteins. He has had PKU since birth. “It is the most unique thing about me, not a lot of people know about it,” Crawford said.

But Crawford is so much more than a vegetarian. He has managed to cut all proteins out of his diet and makes certain that he drinks a powdery substance three times a day to keep his body in check. Crawford does not look at his disorder as a disadvantage in life. He made it clear that this disorder has made him more responsible and obtain a strong sense of self-control.

When asked about whom Jeffrey looks up to in life, he responded, “I think the point of life is to be happy, anyone who is happy in life is who I look up too.”

Growing up with PKU, Crawford thanks his parents for being so supportive. “They are the ones who have to buy the special foods, cook certain meals.” Here at Appalachian State,Crawford’s friends are his main support system. 

Crawford spends his time with his friends watching and playing sports. He played soccer growing up and now is a member of an intermural soccer team. Crawford is also an Appol Corps Leader and a member of Delta Sigma Phi Fraternity.

When ski season rolls around, you can find him on the ski slopes. He said he enjoys attending Appalachian State because he can go ski whenever he wants.

When you are on campus, you may find Crawford hanging out in Cascades. “I am addicted to the smoothies,” said Crawford. When I asked what his favorite smoothie flavor was, he responded “Caribbean Craze.”

If you have any questions about PKU, make sure to ask Jeffery. He said that he loves talking about it and increasing awareness of PKU! 

Inspried journalist who loves to tell stories. Orginally from Charlotte, North Carolina.