This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Friendsgiving is great because you get a home-cooked meal shared with all of your friends. I mean, what more could you really want? But before you call your friends over for a friendsgiving meal, you might want to plan it out a little first. Here is a guide to hosting the best friendsgiving meal ever.

Host it potluck style.

Do not try to host an entire meal for all of your friends on your own…unless you just really want to. But really, who wants to do all that work on their own (not to mention that could get really expensive!)? Have each person bring a dish- it’s less work for everyone, plus you get more variety!

Plan who’s going to bring what.

As I just mentioned, when everyone brings something you can get a variety of foods…or just a ton of mac ‘n cheese. Organize what each person is brining so you don’t have repeats of the same dishes.

It doesn’t have to be formal.

Friendsgiving and Thanksgiving are not the same thing. You don’t need to dress up or wear the sweater your grandma gave you. Kick back and enjoy your potluck meal with friends. Make a fun playlist with you and your friends’ favorite songs. The meal doesn’t have to be organized, set everything out buffet-style and let everyone eat what they want, when they want.

Is the turkey necessary?

We all know turkey as the main part of the Thanksgiving meal, but it is also the most difficult part to prepare. If you’re up for the challenge, more power to you. But if you’re looking for something a little simpler, try a rotisserie chicken. Or take the meat out altogether. There are plenty of other Thanksgiving recipes to make.

Share some traditions, and make some new ones.

We all have our family traditions, share them with your friends; they might have the same ones, or they might pick up on the ones you share! Also make some new traditions- write down something you’re thankful for and see if your friends can guess who wrote it, share funny pictures of each other, or make a playlist of your favorite songs from that year. Have fun with it!

If you’re looking for something a little different…

Try a friendsgiving brunch! Some of my friends and I are going to do a brunch for friendsgiving this year and I’ll be honest, I am so pumped! The food really has nothing to do with Thanksgiving, just pick your favorite breakfast foods. Your friendsgiving can really be anything you want it to be.

Don’t tell your mom you like friendsgiving more than regular Thanksgiving.

Just don’t do it, you will probably break her heart. 

Happy Friendsgiving, everyone!

Sources:

friends1.jpg

giphy.gif

giphy.gif