Grey’s Anatomy: An Emotional Play by Play

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

So the night finally arrived. The season premiere of Grey’s Anatomy was Thursday, September 22.  It has been a long five-month wait, but it is finally over. What will happen to Jolex? Will DeLuca survive? And what is going on with Meredith and Rigs?

MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD, STOP READING NOW IF YOU HAVEN’T SEEN IT!

We all know if Shonda Rhimes delivers on anything, it’s an emotional roller coaster. So lets all take a minute and process what we just went through:

Alex.

After we got our obligatory recap, people began asking why Alex was in the ambulance with DeLuca. It didn’t take long for Ben to piece it together, which brings us to our first feelsy moment: Ben asking Meredith if she was going to be blindly loyal to Alex. Meredith didn’t miss a beat and set it straight real quick that he had earned her loyalty.

Let’s all be honest, it brought back the twisted sister vibes that got us hooked in the first place. Loyalty is what makes the Grey’s world go ‘round and Alex has more than earned it from her. (TBT single tear)

Richard Weber’s fatherly advice.

What would a season premier be without Richard Weber’s fatherly and oddly inspirational advice? Jo is obviously having a meltdown for reasons that Richard has no clue about, but he just swoops right in and delivers an motivational speech like only Weber can. “Sometimes our lives crash down around us, but with a little coffee and sunlight the troubles do get smaller and the world just keeps standing.” Who doesn’t need to hear that at least twice a week, am I right?

When DeLuca woke up, the first thing he asked Jo was if she was okay. Let’s all be honest with ourselves here: we swooned big time. I mean the man is in critical condition and is more worried about her and how drunk she was. What a man. Fingers crossed for a full recovery of that brilliant and beautiful surgeon.

Meredith and Riggs.

Of course everything is against them, but either way we all want Meredith to have a happy ending, right? I mean he’s no McDreamy… but you know Shonda can’t just let us have it. So when Riggs shows up all hot and sensitive, Meredith, of course, tells him she’s not interested (its like her signature move.) Be it because she’s not ready or because of Maggie, I guess the rest of the season can only answer that for us. I sure am tired of seeing her heartbroken. She’s obviously a strong independent woman who don’t need a man. April Kepner vs. Catherine Avery.

Okay, that may be just a touch dramatic but it was still a typical mother-in-law & daughter-in-law conversation (of you have one of your own you probably know what I’m talking about.) Catherine Avery has always been a bit of an issue where Jackson and April are concerned, and tonight it was because of the last name of baby Harriet. Catherine voted Avery, Kepner did not. April did let Catherine know with quickness that Harriet was April’s child, not Catherine’s, and Catherine’s child was a grown man. She did it in an oddly hilarious way.

Who knows, maybe they’re starting to all take a step in the right direction? I mean, let’s be honest, that is the cutest baby since Ellis. Japril may end up together after all!

That heartbreaking moment.

The most heartbreaking moment of the night has to be when Meredith tells Bailey that Alex is the one that assaulted DeLuca. It turns out that Alex had already turned himself. Our hearts basically collectively broke for the last eight minutes (especially with Maggie and Meredith). 

Alex is the quintessential bad boy turned husband material story. He saves babies for a living. He’s Meredith’s person and loves Jo no matter what her past is…well so far. We see him carted off in handcuffs unsure of what this will mean for him, his career, and the rest of the hospital. Maggie confronts Meredith about choosing Alex’s secret over the truth, and over her. Meredith of course apologizes and says she’ll never do it again, but what Maggie will never understand is the bond that Alex and Meredith have. 

Then again, can anyone ever understand it unless they lived through it? Which we all have, obviously. 

Of course, this being the first episode, none of our questions were answered and the next few months will only get more emotional.

Here’s to a new season of Grey’s watching because TGIT.Images

51dd8dec-93ea-4230-85aa-74d4e87d5b8c.giftumblr_niwse7zg5C1sl9d05o1_500.gif144201_0145-900×6011.jpg,alex-and-meredith.png,Aob4w.gif

Kaitlyn Reavis

App State '18

Kaitlyn is a senior at Appalachian State majoring in Public Relations with a minor in Political Science.  Kaitlyn is the President of Her Campus App State as well as one of the Campus Correspondents.  She's also the president of App's Ducks Unlimited chapter, and a member of Sigma Alpha Lambda, which is the communication honors society, and a member of Collegiate Republicans. She's moved by her love for this country and the way it works. She hopes to one day be a part of what makes it work be it in politics or campaign management and research. In her free time Kaitlyn coaches’ softball, reads, obsesses over her 6 dogs (yes you read that right), and enjoys being surrounded by the people she loves. She hopes to turn her stories into a book one day but until then... "Never settle for bad coffee, bad friends, or bad men."