Great Brewery’s to Explore in Asheville Once You’re Finally 21

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Sierra Nevada

• In this case, I’m not saving the best for last, cause this one’s good enough to go first. Nothing compares to the beer, wine, and cider extravaganza that is offered at the 185-acre Sierra Nevada location just outside of downtown Asheville. Footpaths through gardens, lounge chairs, hammocks, and you can bring your dog. Whether you’re a beer gal or not, this place is worth the experience. Also available is full dining service inside the main building, food trucks scattered throughout the property, and “backyard” appetizers that you can walk around the property with. The beers good and the environment is (arguably) even better. 

New Belgium

• From word of mouth, New Belgium seems to be one of the most popular joints to book a brewery tour! They’re quite popular and require advanced booking. I have yet to snag a tour yet myself, but sure want to. They offer some great beers on tap, various flights, and rotating food trucks to provide some snackage alongside your beverages. 

Wicked Weed ( and The Funkatorium)

• If you’ve been to Asheville, you’ve likely heard of this brewery. With the main location sitting right downtown next to the iconic concert venue, The Orange Peel, it’s convenient and groovy, with copious options to quench your thirst. What makes their Funkatorium unique is the differentiating pilsners, sours, and infused ales that you won’t be able to find at other locations. So if you like to get brave with your drinks and try new things, this is a great place to stop by.

Hi-Wire

• As one of the smaller breweries in Asheville, it still stands strong with some excellent ales, IPA’s, and infused beers. It has two locations and both are super fun with a very relaxed vibe. They even have Rose and fruit-inspired beer. Fun! In fact, their downtown location is walking distance away from Wicked Weed. Did someone say bar crawl? 

Highland Brewing 

• Marketed as Asheville’s original craft brewery, since 1994 Highland has been offering delicious refreshments in a spacious Taproom for quite a while. Apart from Sierra Nevada, this brewery offers the most spacious taproom. This is the only brewery on this list I haven’t been to, but I’m saving something for next time! If it’s on my Asheville beer to-do-list, maybe it can be added to yours too!

Happy drinking! Stay responsible out there, ladies. 

A senior pursuing a degree in Literary Studies and having a good time doing it. When I'm not writing, you can often find me reading, playing guitar, sipping iced coffee, or wistfully exploring the parkway with a camera slung around my shoulder.
Senior at Appalachian State University. Majoring in Journalism and minoring in Marketing. There's no problem a good cup of coffee can't fix, honestly. I believe in singing loudly and dancing horribly to all music, and living by the statement to always have courage and be kind.