Girly Beer Alternatives

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Let me preface this piece by saying this – I am not a big beer fan. I just don’t like most of them.  If any guy happens to run across this article, I am sorry for letting you down.

MOVING ON. 

One night I went out with my boyfriend and his three best friends. As the waitress went around the table asking for our drink orders, each guy said the same thing – “Give me a Killian’s.” When she got to me, I was rushing through the menu trying to find something to order. Finally, feeling slightly embarrassed, I ordered a strawberry margarita (frozen, I might add). As dumb as it sounds, I felt kind of silly sipping on some elaborately feminine drink while sitting with a table full of guys, but at the same time, I couldn’t think of many beers that I actually enjoyed. Eager to not relive the experience, I started searching for other beers that I may like, and much to my surprise, they weren’t hard to find. Here are the top five “girly” beers that you’ll definitely want to try next time you’re out:

1. Wild Blue – This beer, despite its fruity taste, still has the qualities of a “man’s drink.” If you’re a fan of blueberry anything, you’ll love it! Although it can be hard to find at bars, you’ll definitely see it at local grocery stores.

2. Bud Light Lime – Although I’m not a big fan of beer, I will admit to liking this drink. The fruity kick that’s added to it gives it just the right taste for a girl like me. And best of all? You can find it at practically any bar.

3. Hornsby’s Hard Cider – While most people go for Woodchuck hard cider, I’m a firm believer that Hornsby’s is the better choice. In this cider, you can definitely taste more of the apple juice than the alcohol, yet it still has a higher alcohol percentage. This is definitely a drink to try.

4. Blue Moon – Ah, old reliable. We’ve all had this drink by now, and if you haven’t, order it the next time you’re out.  Add an orange to it and you’re sure to be in beer heaven!

5. Shock Top Raspberry Wheat – Again, there is nothing wrong with adding a little fruity taste to your beer. Shock Top Raspberry definitely does so in a way that makes it taste nothing like beer. And even if they may not admit it, a lot of guys like this one, too.

Try one of these beers, and you’re sure to love the taste!