This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Fragrances have been used for hundreds of years to express the unique personality of anyone who wears them. From rose to bergamot, certain plants create a particular fragrance that appeals to the noses of all who smell them. This week for Women’s History Month, let’s talk about some fragrances that express one of the many important characteristics of women: femininity. These three particular fragrances are just enough to express the delicate aspects of femininity but also have a certain vigor that brings attention to the strength of femininity.

Rose

For our first spot, we have the best-selling flower of all-time: the rose. Loved by those people who smell them, roses are very fresh yet deep and almost powdery. Many people also smell a sort of “lemony freshness” when it comes to roses. This particular fragrance accentuates femininity by bringing attention to the gentleness and softness of femininity with the warm, gentle, powderiness. At first, the rose smells gentle and enticing with a smell very similar to cocoa butter. Next, comes the strong sense of freshness that catches many people by surprise. This brings attention to the strength of femininity so that it still entices you but gives you a different smell, similar to fresh rain. Combined, these fragrances make a perfect impression of how it feels to be feminine.

Get it at Glossier : http://bit.ly/3tlYg6o

Lily

Second, comes one of the best flowers I’ve ever smelled, the lily. The fragrance of lilies is very strong and sweet but the appearance of lilies is what I want to bring special attention to. The lily is one of the most beautiful and gentle flowers that you will ever see yet it has one of the most intense fragrances you will ever smell. This brings me back to the gentle but strong nature of femininity. What makes lilies different than roses, however, is that lilies smell a lot more floral and almost waxy. I know it may seem kind of redundant to say that a flower smells floral, but what I mean is that lilies smell much less deep than roses and have a stronger, sweeter smell that you can’t mistake.

ZARA Waterlily Tea Dress : http://go.zara/3qIe8OM

Iris

Last but certainly not least, we have one of the deepest, earthy fragrances you will ever smell, the iris. The iris is a very powdery, earthy fragrance that brings special attention to the gentleness of femininity. The very deep, earthy sweetness of the iris inspires memories of beautiful flowers, too gentle to touch, but effortlessly beautiful and fragrant. Iris is one of those fragrances that will never cease to amaze because it brings an unmatched sense of gentle earthiness that, especially when combined with rose or lily, creates a special kind of fragrance that celebrates the essence of women.

Maison Margiela ‘REPLICA’ Lipstick On : http://seph.me/3bLiali

To all of my female readers, I want to say that I appreciate every single one of you. From the many struggles you face to the many strengths you possess, you are an incredible person who will always be inherently individual. This Women’s History Month, celebrate what it means to be you. Go out with your friends, write something, or do whatever makes you feel special because you are you.

As always, be great, smell great!

Brandon Darden

App State '23

Brandon is a junior English, Secondary Education major at Appalachian State University. After graduating in the spring of 2023, Brandon hopes to encourage interest in learning, especially in the minds of high school students. Brandon has been a member of HerCampus App State since 2021, and along with being one of its current Campus Correspondents, specializes in writing about fragrance and beauty while also writing about other topics such as mental health, experiences in college as a person of color, and poetry.