Finding the Right Job For You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.
Employment. We all want it but often have trouble finding it in such a small town. The truth is, finding a job in Boone is a cutthroat competition between every single one of the 18,000 students on our campus. So, how will you stand out in a sea of determined, hard working and, not to mention, broke college kids? One of the first (and most important) steps to finding a job in Boone is to know exactly what kind of employer you want to work for. Believe it or not, actually enjoying your job can make a world of difference for you and your paycheck. So, if have ever wondered what job would fit you best, keep reading because we have the tips and tricks that will not only get you the job you have always dreamed of but help you keep it, at least until you graduate.

Retail Mania:

Do you love meeting and helping new people? Do you like a fast-paced environment that is constantly changing? Do you want an awesome discount at your favorite clothing store? If so, a retail job is definitely right for you. Retail is fun and exciting and generally offers a lot of schedule flexibility. As an employee, you will be responsible for the easy stuff: greeting customers, working the register, straightening the store, and answering questions about the products. The best part about retail work is that shifts tend to be shorter than other work environments, usually running between three and five hours long. This makes it easier and more convenient to squeeze a shift into your already hectic life. If all of this sounds appealing, hit up the Boone Mall of the Blowing Rock outlets and get applying! Your bank account and your wardrobe will certainly thank you!

Restaurant Enthusiast:

If you’re looking to put some cash in your wallet fast, then try waiting tables at a restaurant. Boone has an insane dining scene with a wide variety of great places to choose from. From our corporate restaurants such as Chili’s, Applebee’s, and Ruby Tuesday, to our independently owned joints like Pepper’s, The Red Onion, and Our Daily Bread, the possibilities are endless. Waiting tables is fun, fast, and can be really rewarding while also giving you a chance to meet people from all over the country and even the world. Most restaurants here in Boone operate under a set schedule, which makes it easier for you to choose to work on the days that fit your class schedule best. Not only that, but they pay you your tips in cash at the end of your shift. Want to really make some money? Try working during the weekend of a home football game. These weekends are prime for tourists in the High Country. Work just a few shifts over one of them and you’ll find yourself pulling in a couple hundred dollars. No, I’m not kidding. So, if you think you can handle running in a thousand directions with a smile on your face, reward yourself and work in a restaurant!

On-Campus Convenience:

If you’re looking for a job that’s close to home and extremely convenient, where better to look than on-campus? App State employs hundreds of students in every type of job from food service, to administration, even to telemarketing. On-campus jobs are not only convenient, but they are incredibly flexible. You have the power to completely make your own schedule and most jobs will even allow you to get some of your homework done while you work! The best part about on-campus jobs is that they allow you to interact with other students that you may not normally find yourself hanging out with. Not to mention, these jobs offer a possible pay raise every semester. That’s definitely a luxury that you will not find working for a corporate company. So if you’re looking for something super convenient and flexible, swing in to the Office of Student Employment next time you’re in Central and drop off an application.

Finding a job is tough. And let’s face it; none of us have the time (or patience) to spend hours driving around Boone turning in thousands of applications. So, if you’re desperate for some cash, start by narrowing down your search and looking for an employer whose environment you will really enjoy working in. Then, it’s time to update that resume and get applying! You’ll be ditching those broke college kid blues in no time!
            Employment. We all want it but often have trouble finding it in such a small town. The truth is, finding a job in Boone is a cutthroat competition between every single one of the 18,000 students on our campus. So, how will you stand out in a sea of determined, hard working and, not to mention, broke college kids? One of the first (and most important) steps to finding a job in Boone is to know exactly what kind of employer you want to work for. Believe it or not, actually enjoying your job can make a world of difference for you and your paycheck. So, if have ever wondered what job would fit you best, keep reading; we have the tips and tricks that will not only get you the job you have always dreamed of but help you keep it, at least until you graduate.

Retail Mania:

Do you love meeting and helping new people? Do you like a fast-paced environment that is constantly changing? Do you want an awesome discount at your favorite clothing store? If so, a retail job is definitely right for you. Retail is fun, exciting, and generally offers a lot of schedule flexibility. As an employee, you will be responsible for the easy stuff: greeting customers, working the register, straightening the store, and answering questions about the products. The best part about retail work is that shifts tend to be shorter than other work environments, usually running between three and five hours long. This makes it easier and more convenient to squeeze a shift into your already hectic life. If all of this sounds appealing, hit up the Boone Mall or the Blowing Rock outlets and get applying! Your bank account and your wardrobe will certainly thank you!

[pagebreak]

Restaurant Enthusiast:

If you’re looking to put some cash in your wallet fast, then try waiting tables at a restaurant. Boone has an insane dining scene with a wide variety of great places to choose from. From our corporate restaurants such as Chili’s, Applebee’s, and Ruby Tuesday, to our independently owned joints like Galileo’s, The Red Onion, and Our Daily Bread, the possibilities are endless. Waiting tables is fun, fast, and can be really rewarding while also giving you a chance to meet people from all over the country and even the world. Most restaurants here in Boone operate under a set schedule, which makes it easier for you to choose to work on the days that fit your class schedule best. Not only that, but they pay you your tips in cash at the end of your shift. Want to really make some money? Try working during the weekend of a home football game. These weekends are prime for tourists in the High Country. Work just a few shifts during one of them, and you’ll find yourself pulling in a couple hundred dollars. No, I’m not kidding. So, if you think you can handle running in a thousand directions with a smile on your face, reward yourself and work in a restaurant!

On-Campus Convenience:

If you’re looking for a job that’s close to home and extremely convenient, where better to look than on-campus? App State employs hundreds of students in every type of job from food service, to administration, even to telemarketing. On-campus jobs are not only convenient, but they are incredibly flexible. You have the power to completely make your own schedule and most jobs will even allow you to get some of your homework done while you work! The best part about on-campus jobs is that they allow you to interact with other students that you may not normally find yourself hanging out with. Not to mention, these jobs offer a possible pay raise every semester. That’s definitely a luxury that you will not find working for a corporate company. So if you’re looking for something super convenient and flexible, swing in to the Office of Student Employment next time you’re in Central, and drop off an application.

Brittany Fielding is a senior studying Apparel Design and Merchandising at Appalachian State University. She loves to write, shop, exercise, watch sports, and spend time with her friends and family. Originally from Cleveland, OH, Brittany plans on moving back to a big city after graduation to pursue a career in fashion buying/merchandising. 
Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!