Female Historical Figures Who Have Impacted My Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

This Women’s History Month, I have been taking time to reflect on the women in my life. My amazing female relatives who helped shape me during my upbringing, my phenomenal female mentors, and my wonderful friends, all of whom have touched my life in special ways. There are also women who mean a great deal to me whom I have never met, even those who lived long before me. Today I will be discussing amazing women who have made history – and made my life richer.

Enheduanna

As an English minor and HerCampus writer, knowing that the first known author in the history of EVER was a woman is beyond inspiring. Enheduanna was a poet and priestess in Mesopotamia, or modern-day Iraq, and was the daughter of Sargon of Akkad, the first ruler of the Akkadian Empire. Despite living over 2,000 years before Christ, Enheduanna’s creativity and devotion have struck me as remarkable and heartening. May the spirit of Enheduanna carry on through the work of every female writer.

Hypatia

Hypatia was a Greek polymath who studied and taught in Alexandria, Egypt, in the late 4th- and early 5th- centuries AD. She was well-versed in philosophy, mathematics, and astronomy, and was an educator at a time and place where women were largely considered second-class citizens. In order to maintain her independence as an intellectual, she remained unmarried. She was trusted and respected by many prominent figures of both Christian and Pagan backgrounds and was a Pagan herself. Tragically, due to religious and political upheaval in Alexandria, which she found herself caught in the middle of, Hypatia was stoned and flayed by a mob of Christian men. Hypatia’s determination to rise above in an unjust society and dedication to academic study and instruction reminds me to be grateful for the opportunities I have as a young woman in today’s world, and to not take the resources afforded to me for granted. 

Queen Elizabeth I

Assuming the English throne in 1558, Elizabeth I was the sole leader of her country for nearly 45 years. Known as “The Virgin Queen,” she never married, and thus was the sole ruler of England until her death. She overcame a challenging upbringing, endured harmful misconceptions about her mother and herself, and maintained peace throughout her reign as Queen. Learning of Elizabeth I’s resilience and strong leadership has long empowered me to approach difficulty with the “heart and stomach of a King.”

Sacagawea

Known for her work assisting explorers Lewis and Clark, Sacagawea was a Lemhi Shoshone Indigenous woman who aided in the survival of her land-surveying party while they investigated the area acquired by the United States under the Louisiana Purchase. She translated, traded, foraged, and more on this famous expedition, all while fighting through harsh conditions with her infant son on her back. This amazing woman does not get enough credit for her accomplishments or enough appreciation for what she went through as a child bride taken from her home. Just as she helped guide Lewis and Clark, Sacagawea has been a guiding light for me since I was a little girl, exemplifying strength and resourcefulness. 

Helen Keller

Born in Alabama in 1880, Helen Keller suffered illnesses in her infancy that rendered her deaf and blind. While her early childhood was difficult due to a lack of communication skills, another amazing female figure, Anne Sullivan, took on the challenge of teaching her how to speak using sign language. Acquiring language would change Helen’s life, as she would go on to become a world-renowned writer, activist, feminist, and advocate for disability rights. Helen and Anne’s stories taught me that one can overcome the seemingly impossible through perseverance.

Frida Kahlo

Frida Kahlo was a mestiza painter of Mexican and German descent known for her dreamlike depictions of her inner world. Despite debilitating physical ailments, mental illness, and the challenges of being a female artist in a patriarchal society, Frida created artwork that lives on in popularity even after her premature death in 1954. Her explorations of cultural duality, critiques of American society, and her expressions of suffering and self-confidence serve as a source of inspiration for me as I study art history.

Anne Frank

I have never felt more connected with an author than when reading the Diary of Anne Frank as a young teenager. Anne was a brilliant, witty, thoughtful writer and a visionary. During her time in hiding with her family in Holland during the Holocaust, Anne wrote about her thoughts, dreams, and experiences as a young Jewish woman. Despite knowing her eventual, heartbreaking fate, I found myself rooting for Anne while I read her diary. I live by one of her quotations: “How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world”. She would have been a phenomenal novelist if given the chance. For me, Anne’s story is a constant reminder to fight against hate and appreciate the world around me, as she always remained positive and hopeful despite her dire situation.

Lucille Ball

Known for portraying the lovable and goofy Lucy Ricardo in the iconic television series I Love Lucy, Lucille was the first woman to head a production studio, which she did alongside her husband and co-star, Desi Arnaz. Lucille brought joy and laughter into millions of American homes every week and paved the way for other female comedians and actresses. In addition, as a pregnant Lucy, she played the very first expecting character on American television, as pregnancy was previously considered too taboo for TV. This talented trailblazer has provided me with not only hours of entertainment, but years of encouragement as an ambitious young woman.

What women from history have empowered you or touched your life?

Jessie Kradel

App State '21

An anxious Art History student with an affinity for bees and an addiction to iced white mocha lattes.