Faith in Times of COVID-19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

I have never been one to talk openly about my faith. I’ve always felt that there were those that felt more strongly about their own faith than I did, knew more about the Bible than me, and deserved more of a place at the table in conversations on the topic of faith. I’ll admit, I’ve never been a particularly “good” Christian, whatever that really means. I curse, I skip church on Sundays, oftentimes only pray when times are bad, and I’ve only read the New Testament all the way through once – and that was for a class in college. As a Presbyterian, and a young one at that, I’ve constantly found myself questioning my faith. Now that COVID-19 has taken over everyone’s lives around the globe, I find myself thinking more and more about my relationship with God and Christianity as a whole.

I don’t think I’m the only one in feeling like this; many young people find themselves on the fringes of the Church as they grow older and not because of a global pandemic either. If anything, the pandemic has made me feel more comfortable with talking about faith with those around me. Being open to having conversations of faith in such dire times sometimes feels like the only thing you can do in these situations.

Small white chapel in woods
Photo by Harry Miller from Unsplash
I’ve spoken on the topic of comparing myself to others before, and I think that’s the main reason why I feel so uncomfortable about opening up about my faith. I see so many devoted young people my age that know exactly where they are in their faith – or at least they seem to be – and I feel ashamed of myself for not being better, for not doing better. I kick myself for not being a better Christian like all these other young people around me, and question what I could be doing better. I question why I couldn’t be like them, and what secrets they could possibly understand at the same age as me that I have the inability to grasp.

But also, like in my last article, I’m trying to be better about that whole comparing-myself-to-others thing. I understand that my faith isn’t as great as some other devoted young people’s but that’s not to say that mine still can’t also be great. In times of COVID-19, I’ve found my faith to be a comfort that I’m so glad to have held on to and believed in despite doubting myself against these comparisons of mine. COVID-19 is scary, I think we can all agree on that. I certainly don’t have the most incredible and devout relationship with God or the church as some of my peers, but it’s in these times of crisis that I find myself falling back on my faith when I need it most. 

Being open to having conversations of faith sometimes feels like the only thing you can do in these situations. 

I suppose that might sound selfish, or false, or maybe even blasphemous. To some, to only be a believer in times of need is not to be a believer at all. But that’s not really what I’m trying to say. Faith, for me, is something that is always running on the back burner, I guess. It’s always there, but it’s quiet, I don’t notice it much at times. In my daily life, I try my best to be the best human being that I can be: kind, considerate, and wholly myself in everything that I do. I think, maybe, that’s the kind of person that God wants me to be. Living my life the best way that I can, with my faith running quietly on in the background, is the way that I go about things. Crises of faith and humanity only arise when my backburner breaks, when I am not living my life as best as I can, when my usual way of life falls apart.

Girl with closed eyes and praying hands
Photo by Ben White from Unsplash
I pray and ask for guidance in these times because who else should I ask? Why shouldn’t I ask? Is it not in times of crisis that we seek shelter most? I certainly find comfort in knowing that someone is there to listen, someone knows me, that someone will understand my prayers. If I am not meant to pray when I am in need, when is the right time?

Coming back into Christianity during COVID-19 has certainly been uneasy for me. I still have my questions, my doubts, and I can’t go to church on Sundays even if I’d like to – and I would like to, but I’ll stick to virtual worship for now. But more than all these things, I have hope. My faith will always be a personal part of me, given that it is my faith, and no one else’s but my own. It has given me the strength to continue fighting, continue asking questions, and continue seeking comfort in a world where I thought there was none.

If I am not meant to pray in times of need, when is the right time?

Caroline is a senior English major at Appalachian State University concentrating in Film Studies with a minor in Theatre Arts. After she graduates in the spring of 2021, Caroline hopes to either work abroad teaching English as a second language, in the American school system or artistically to pursue creative writing. Caroline has been a member of HerCampus App State since 2019. Along with being its 2020 - 2021 Campus Correspondent, she has also held the positions of Senior Editor, Social Media Director, and was a part of the Campus Trendsetter Program.