david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

End Trick-Or-Treat Ageism, Give College Kids the Candy They Deserve

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

As Halloween approaches, it is a deeply sad time in the lives of countless college students. It’s a holiday that used to be so very pure; we’d get dressed up with friends, consume excessive amounts of sugar, and wander like homeless beggars through the most candy-profitable neighborhoods in our area. This day is now filled with all sorts of foolish debauchery to tie us over until we are able to go trick-or-treating again someday. 

Sometimes in life, one must say no to the tricks and yes to the treats. This is one of those times. As ex-children, we are entitled to the same Halloween-related rights as everyone else. Just because time is slowly dragging us toward the grave does not mean that older people should be deprived in the candy socialism of our time.

For some reason, society put an age limit on the real fun of Halloween. You hit 12 and suddenly you’re “too old” for candy-related fun, and middle-aged people talk crap to you all night saying “aren’t you a little old to be trick-or-treating?” Like, yes, I am. But just hand over the M&Ms, Debra.

If you’re really trying to get into the semantics of why college students should be socially allowed to trick-or-treat, just picture this: wandering from dorm hall to dorm hall, really getting in on a serious amount of that good loot. College campuses would be a wild place if we ended #TrickOrTreatAgeism.

I hope that someday we will live in a world where we can all trick-or-treat, regardless of our age.

Dianna is a graduate of the class of 2019 at Appalachian State University where she studied Public Relations, Journalism and English. At Her Campus, she served as App State's campus correspondent and editor-in-chief.