clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Educate Yosef: Appalachian Senior Programs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Think of an elderly individual you consider to be dear to your heart. How far would you go to keep them safe, healthy, and happy during their elderly years? Appalachian Senior Programs strives to keep those who can’t fend for themselves within reach of great company. 

Appalachian Senior Programs is a small, nonprofit organization housed through Appalachian State University. Although you’ve probably never heard of it, Appalachian Senior Programs, or ASP for short, has been around for a long time, providing care and guidance to the special-needs youth and elderly folks of Watauga, Avery, Ashe, Alleghany and Wilkes counties. 

ASP is broken up into two seperate programs: the senior companions program, where volunteers provide care and company for the fragile elderly in their homes, and the foster grandparent program where volunteers are assigned a number of kids that would benefit from having a mentor throughout the year. 

The organization’s mission statement is as follows: The Appalachian Senior Programs mission is to provide meaningful and productive volunteer opporutnites for senior citizens to remain active in the community offering services to children with special needs and the fragile elderly that otherwise are not offered. Children recieve tutoring and mentoring while the elderly recieve assistance to maintain their independence. 

To volunteer for ASP, you must be 55 years of age or older. The oldest ASP volunteer is 102 years old! 

ASP is a wonderful organization, that unfortunately is very under the radar. ASP is looking for new clients and volunteers on a regular basis. It’s important to have leaders who are passionate about helping children and the elderly in need alike.

Best wishes and luck to Appalachian Senior Programs as they continue to thrive and build their nonprofit business! 

sources

https://expertbeacon.com/using-modern-technology-can-help-elderly-people…

http://www.powcowfrozenyogurt.com/single-post/2016/07/13/The-Importance-…

Carlin is a senior at Appalachian State University pursuing a degree in Public Relations and English. She is a Bachelor and One Tree Hill fanatic who is passionate about chocolate frosties and Chipotle. Her dream job is to be a sports reporter for ESPN.