Eating Vegetarian is Easy! Start Today The Delicious Way

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Ever thought about changing up your diet to start eating vegetarian but didn’t know where to start? Eating vegetarian is actually a lot easier and more delicious than it seems, not to mention the insane health benefits. Want to get the most out of your new vegetarian diet? Simply start with the food pyramid and make sure you get plenty of your recommended nutrients.

1. Protein: Protein is an essential part of the human diet and cutting out meats can make obtaining it extremely difficult. Try substituting chicken, pork, and beef for wild salmon or tempeh. What’s tempeh you ask? It’s a delicious soybean substitute that packs around 200 calories per serving and around 18 g of protein. To prepare, cut tempeh into small cubes or strips and sauté with your choice of veggies, olive oil, and your own blend of spices. Not big into fish? Try all natural non-fat Greek yogurt for your protein fix.

[pagebreak]

2. Whole Grain: Yes ladies, we all need carbs and, believe it or not, combining them with your favorite veggies can be surprisingly delicious and nutritious. This recipe for Caprese Orzo Salad is amazing and unbelievably easy to prepare. Simply combine ¼ cup of red wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon of honey, ½ cup of olive oil, 1 lb of cooked orzo, 1 pint of small cherry tomatoes cut in half, I chopped bunch of green onions, one cup of chopped fresh basil, and 1 7 oz container of feta cheese in a large mixing bowl. Garnish with a little salt and pepper for taste. This salad packs a punch and covers 4 of your food groups.

[pagebreak]

3. Fruits: Who says you can’t eat your fruits and vegetables together. Believe it or not, fruits and vegetables can compliment each other in ways that you may have never thought possible. Try a spinach salad with a lemon poppy seed vinaigrette dressing. Add your favorite type of nut, dried cranberries, blueberries, and halved strawberries. Finish with a sprinkle of goat or feta cheese and you have the perfect summer salad.

If trying a vegetarian diet has seemed impossible in the past, you haven’t tried hard enough! Eating vegetarian does not have to be a sacrifice and can make you look and feel healthier and more energized each and every day. So give it a try, the rewards are sure to be deliciously satisfying!

Brittany Fielding is a senior studying Apparel Design and Merchandising at Appalachian State University. She loves to write, shop, exercise, watch sports, and spend time with her friends and family. Originally from Cleveland, OH, Brittany plans on moving back to a big city after graduation to pursue a career in fashion buying/merchandising.