The Do’s and Don’ts of Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Though we may not want to think about it, Valentine’s Day is only almost here and there are a few things to be taken into consideration before we jump into the madness. Personally, I can’t wait for the day after when all of the heart shaped and themed candy goes on sale at the grocery store… But that’s beside the point. Just saying the phrase “Valentine’s Day” to someone can conjure up great memories, the worst day of their year, or no reaction at all. In an effort to try to curb some of the crazy behavior commonly displayed on this day, I’ve made a list of what to do and what not to do. So pay attention ladies and we can all avoid being “that girl”.

Do: Go out of your way to make it special for your Valentine.

Maybe you’re not the type of girl to go all out for your average date night, and that’s OK, but Valentine’s Day is one of the rare days of the year when it’s completely acceptable to be a little outrageous. If you’re like me, you appreciate effort put into the small details and that’s what makes the difference of a “good” vs. “amazing” night out. Don’t let your man make all the plans, show him you care about making your evening special by putting in a little extra effort for things you know he appreciates.

Don’t: Go overboard.

While it can be fun to be over the top on Valentine’s Day, there is definitely a fine line that should not be crossed when giving gifts, showing PDA, and planning a romantic evening. Things that are not okay to do on V-Day: embarrass your crush and subsequently yourself by being obnoxious about the holiday, creeping out a friend who may not reciprocate your unrequited love, or post more than one picture to social media of the gifts you may receive.

Do: Make Valentine’s cards for your friends.

This special holiday is about love for everyone you appreciate in your life, not just boyfriends, fiancés, and significant others. Spend some time and think about who you couldn’t bear to be without on a daily basis and then think of a way to show that person your love. An easy and cute way of doing this is hand making personal Valentine’s cards for your best friends and family! A small gesture like this could really make a difference in your loved one’s day. Be a good friend and don’t forget to show some love to everyone around you, especially those you know who might be having a rough day.

Don’t: Bash the holiday on social media.

Everyone knows that Valentine’s Day can be a sensitive holiday for a lot of people and there are a lot of things that can go wrong on a day full of high expectations. BUT there is a time and place for complaining about whatever may be annoying you this Valentine’s Day. Think about it, do you want to scroll through your Facebook or Twitter feed on V-Day only to be bombarded by posts from bitter individuals who had a very unsatisfactory day? The answer to that one should be no, ladies. Let’s keep it classy this year and save the venting and ranting for wine night where no judgments will be made and no one can screenshot your words.

Do: Make plans regardless of your relationship status.

Even if you aren’t dating or interested in anyone when Valentine’s Day rolls around you still don’t want to be stuck at home alone on a night when so many people will be out and about. Making plans with your friends to have dinner and drinks or see a cute romantic movie will give you something to take your mind off of the pressure of being in a relationship. If you’re one of those people who needs space on Valentine’s then go ahead and treat yourself to a day of doing whatever makes you happy, maybe a little shoe shopping and pedicures!

Don’t: Expect to be showered with ridiculous gifts.

Although it is common for people to give and receive nice gifts on Valentine’s Day, it shouldn’t be the focus of your day at all. It’s absolutely okay to get excited if your Valentine gives you beautiful jewelry or cool concert tickets, but not everyone needs to see or hear about it on social media. The point of Valentine’s Day is to spend it with people that you love to be around, not the gifts that may come with it. Also, don’t be upset if your Valentine didn’t get you something you’ve been wanting or gets you a cliché gift, appreciate what comes your way no matter how small.

Alla Hill

App State

Alla Hill is a Junior at Appalachian State University working towards a degreee in Nutrition and Foods with a concentration in Dietetics. She is originally from Greenville, SC but loves being able to call the High Country home for now! Alla's interests include creative writing, hiking, shoe shopping, cooking with friends, collecting bumper stickers, and tumblr blogging.