The Do’s and Don’ts of Applying for Internships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

If you’re anything like me, at this time of year you are spending every free minute of your time studying for finals, anticipating heading home for break, and completely stressing about applying for internships for the upcoming summer/year. There is no doubt that looking for an internship and preparing all of the materials necessary for the application process can be overwhelming and stressful, but we have the Do’s and Do Not’s of finding your perfect internship so all of us worry warts can all rest a little easier over the holidays!

DO set your standards high.
Getting a prestigious internship is important. DO NOT just settle for a company because it is close to home, pays its interns, is easy to get, etc. This is your opportunity to be picky and really make yourself stand out, so go for it!

DO apply to many different companies.

The more positions you apply for, the more likely you are to get an internship. After all, if you are like me, and have absolutely zero connections in the industry in which you are applying, you’ll need all of the chances you can get!

DO spend some time researching.
It is always beneficial to put a little time into research to find out a little more about the company to which you are applying. Make sure the company fits your personality and work ethic. If you don’t understand what is required of you as an intern beforehand, you will surely end up unhappy in your choice.

DO get feedback from multiple sources on your resume.
As Appalachian students, we have a great tool for resume building on the Career Services homepage called “Optimal Resume”. Using this will help you a lot on the structuring and content of your resume. And, the best part is, when you are done, you can electronically submit your resume to the various colleges for editing from a professional. Remember; DO NOT exceed one page when writing your resume.

DO choose a company that you would ultimately like to have a career with.
It is so common for companies to hire their interns for full time employment if they are satisfied with their work during the internship. So, not only does this mean you should strive to perform your best while working at your internship, it also means that you should look for a company that you would like to have a career with!

DO NOT stress.
Divide up your work in manageable chunks and take it a little at a time over break. Remember, the holidays are a time for rest and relaxation, so stressing about applying for your internships will make your break that much more unenjoyable. You have a month to get everything perfected and then; DO be ready to start applying at the beginning of the New Year!

Photo from: http://collegecandy.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/stressed-out-student.jpg…

Brittany Fielding is a senior studying Apparel Design and Merchandising at Appalachian State University. She loves to write, shop, exercise, watch sports, and spend time with her friends and family. Originally from Cleveland, OH, Brittany plans on moving back to a big city after graduation to pursue a career in fashion buying/merchandising. 
Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!