Don’t Give Up Your Meal Plan…Don’t Seriously

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

As students, we yearn for the day that we no longer have a meal plan, but we do have our own apartment and our own kitchen.

“The meal plan makes you fat,” “There’s no good food at the Market that aren’t snacks,” the list of complaints can go on and on. However, while it is nice to get home after a long day and cook a meal, or just make scrambled eggs easily in the morning, the grass isn’t always greener on the other side.

Turns out, I spend more time on campus than I’d like to admit (usually about 9 or 10 a.m. until about 5 or 6 p.m. or later depending on the day). Between senior-level classes (yikes), my internship, and my general over-involvement I don’t have time to go home in between everything.

Unless I go home to eat before going back to campus to go to the library for a few hours.

Now, as you may have noticed, my time on campus starts in the morning, right through lunch, and up into dinner time. Normally I’ll bring a sandwich (so exciting) to tide me through the day.  In an ideal world this works

But sometimes the sandwich doesn’t cut it. Sometimes an extra snack or cup of coffee is needed. Without a meal plan, it physically pains me to spend my grocery money on actual on- campus food.  I mean, I could guilt people into using their meal plan on me, but no one wants to be that person.

So, fellow students, learn from me. Don’t move off campus. Don’t get rid of your meal plans. It’s actually horrible unless you go to like one class and go home. If you basically live on campus, as I do, don’t get an apartment and get rid of the meal plan. It’s a trap.

I mean, I’m sure some of you could get your parents to put money on your Express Account to fix this. That would fix the problem. Do that. Tell your parents you’re in the library for six hours at a time (I actually am, to be honest..) Make them think you study too much to actually cook dinner. Then they’ll be like “Oh, she must be studying really hard, she might need those two extra large cups of coffee.” *Deposits money into Express Account*

Actually, be right back, going to call my mom…

A self proclaimed pizza making princess. Amanda enjoys eating foods that will possibly take years off her life and cats.