This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

With the summer weather approaching, I wanted to add some natural highlights to my hair and lighten up the color without damaging it by coloring it.  So, I decided to try out a DIY hair lightening serum I found through Pinterest on the Free People blog. I was hesitant to try it, but I am so excited with the results.

Here are the ingredients that you need:

–       Chamomile tea

–       Juice of three lemons

–       1 teaspoon of cinnamon

–       Squirt of honey

–       2 teaspoons of coconut oil

–       Spray bottle with large straw

The original recipe calls for 1 teaspoon of coconut oil, however I added two so that it would moisturize my hair more since the lemon juice will dry it out a lot. This seemed to help, as my hair is extremely soft after using the serum and washing it out. It also says to add warm water to fill the remainder of the spray bottle after all the other ingredients are added. I opted out of this, however you can do what you like.

To make the serum follow these instructions (makes about 3-4 treatments):

–       Steep a cup of chamomile tea for 5 or so minutes so that it’s strong.

–       Pour half of the tea brewed into the spray bottle.

–       Add the cinnamon and shake to incorporate it into the tea.

–       Add the remainder of the ingredients and shake.

–       Spray your hair with the serum where you want your hair lighter.

–       Sit out in the sun, or pull up in a bun inside and let sit for an hour and a half.

–       Wash out with good shampoo and moisturizing conditioner.

–       Repeat every day until you reach the color you want.

Note: If the spray bottle isn’t working, it’s most likely due to the cinnamon clogging it. Just pour a small amount of the serum into your hands and rub into your hair. Store in the fridge between uses. If the coconut oil re solidifies, just pop it in the microwave for 15-30 seconds.

This serum has worked great and I am absolutely in love with it! It lightens your hair with its natural colors. My hair is dark brown with a hint of light browns and reds in it and it’s bringing out those colors more. It makes your hair smell just like cinnamon, which I thought would be strange at first, but it smells delicious. The coconut oil moisturizes the hair and makes it super soft, something you won’t find with just plain lemon juice, store bought hair lightening serums, or by coloring your hair. It’s all natural ingredients, so it’s much better for your hair and it gradually lightens it, so that you can get exactly the color you are looking for!

I would highly recommend trying this out this summer! 

Taylor is a senior at Appalachian State University studying Exercise Science with a concentration in clinical physiology. She has asperations of becoming an Occupational Therapist and working to rehabilitate people with disabilities. She enjoys the outdoors, adventures, and traveling.