A Definitive List of 10 Halloween Movies to Take You Back to Your Childhood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

1- Hocus Pocus (1993) 

This classic is always the first on my list, and one of my all-time Halloween faves. Witches back from the dead, graveyard shenanigans, talking cats, black flame candles; what’s not to love?

2- Halloweentown (1998) 

Pretty much any of the Halloweentown movies scream childhood spooky. Whether you’re a fan of the OG nineties or prefer the reboot in Return to Halloweentown, there’s a warm fuzzy feeling that comes from watching these films. And there’s Debbie Reynolds. Reason enough if you ask me. Not to forget the other very important Halloweentown installations i.e; Halloweentown: Calibar’s Revenge, Halloweentown High, Return to Halloweentown. 

3- The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

I’ve said it once, I’ll say it again. This is a Halloween movie, not a Christmas movie! You definitely can’t change my mind. Tim Burton at his finest, most musical, and spooookiest. 

4- The Little Vampire (2000)

This movie is a spooky kid’s dream come true! A vampire bestie? But, of course. What else would you suspect after moving into a thousand-year castle in Scotland? Tony and his vampire friend, Rudolph, are simply pursuing an adventure and end up helping to save the entire vampire race instead. 

5- The Addams Family (1991)

Buh nuh nuh nah *snap snap*. Did you sing it in your head? We all know and love them for their bizarre family dynamic, memorable characters, and a magical hand (referred to as “thing”), completely separated from a body that somehow still thinks for itself. Don’t think about it too much. 

6- Coraline (2009)

Directed by the master of claymation, Henry Selick (who also directed The Nightmare Before Christmas!!!), he takes the beloved novel by Neil Gaiman and gives us a wonderfully lovable, yet kinda creepy, film. 

7- The Corpse Bride (2005) 

More Tim Burton? Of course. I can’t believe you thought it ended there. The story of a deceased bride and a mortal, very living man falling in love is sentimental, (and problematic) yet haunting enough to take you back to your childhood when it probably scared you a little. But in a good way. You know what I mean. 

8- The Haunted Mansion (2003) 

If anyone knows how to do spooky, fun-filled Halloween, it’s Disney. This movie is based on the ride at Disneyland California and similar version at Walt Disney World in Florida. Eddie Murphy as the leading man, ensuring lots of laughs, takes his family on vacation for the weekend and makes a pit stop for work at his new real estate endeavor (hint, hint the place is kinda haunted).

9-  Twitches (2005) 

Twin? Witches? Twitches! Another Dinsey Halloween masterpiece if you ask me, about two young witches who learn about their sisterhood and powers before their eighteenth birthday (no surprise there) and chaos ensues in their magical world of origin. Did I secretly hope for my magical powers to reveal themselves once I turned 18? Of course. 

10- It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown (1966) 

Although by far the oldest movie to make the list, there’s something so wholesome about watching a gang of kids go trick or treating and get rocks instead of candy. All of the kids Halloween shenanigans are adorable, funny, and reminiscent of our own candy seeking days.

A senior pursuing a degree in Literary Studies and having a good time doing it. When I'm not writing, you can often find me reading, playing guitar, sipping iced coffee, or wistfully exploring the parkway with a camera slung around my shoulder.
Senior at Appalachian State University. Majoring in Journalism and minoring in Marketing. There's no problem a good cup of coffee can't fix, honestly. I believe in singing loudly and dancing horribly to all music, and living by the statement to always have courage and be kind.