Craft Classes on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

You may not know this, but there are many craft enrichment classes offered on campus for a reasonable price. You can choose from a variety of classes that are offered one day a week for a few hours. Give yourself a break during the week, and sign up for an intersting class to learn a new hobby!

Fall of 2014 I heard about these opportunities and started searching the different classes. I decided to take a bowl turning class (you can find this under the woodworking tab), and I am so happy that I took the chance to do this. The class was one day a week on Wednesday evenings. It gave me a great break from a busy schedule to relax, learn something new, and connect with new people. The instructor was a professor on campus and my fellow classmates were local people from Boone. I learned the process of making high quality wooden bowls. The process is a lot more in depth than I originally thought, but it was extremely intriguing learning the different techniques from a knowledgable teacher. The cost of the class also included all materials, which were very high quality. These classes are such a great adddition to your normal routine, I highly reccomend taking at least one!

Below are a list of the classes offered (if you go to the website below there are multiple classes under each of these categories):

• Basket Making
  • Batik
  • Biodiesel Production Workshop
  • Craft Sampler
  • Drawing 
  • Electronics
  • Fly Tying
  • Glass
  • Jewelry 
  • Lampworking (Bead Making)
  • Landscaping
  • Make It, Take It
  • Mosaics
  • Painting
  • Photography
  • Pottery
  • Quilting
  • Spinning
  • Video Documentary Production
  • Weaving 
  • Welding/ Metalworking
  • Woodworking

The classes are affordable, available to anyone (not just students), and registration is currently open for classes this spring. There are various options of classes for each category. Search through the site and follow the steps to signing up for your next craft enrichment class!

Pictures:

http://s.hswstatic.com/gif/pottery-2.jpg

Taylor is a senior at Appalachian State University studying Exercise Science with a concentration in clinical physiology. She has asperations of becoming an Occupational Therapist and working to rehabilitate people with disabilities. She enjoys the outdoors, adventures, and traveling.