Could You Go A Day Without Technology?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Can you go without technology for a day? Most people think they aren’t that reliant on their technological devices, and I am included in that group, but could we really go even just a day without using any technology?

This was a recent project in one of my classes. I, like everyone else, thought that it would be easy. I was wrong, but unlike 21 of the 24 people in my class, I made it through the day. If you ever want to try to go a day without technology, here are some things to do to pass the time.

1. Clean

Most people cannot honestly say that their room or bathroom is so clean that there is just nothing that needs to be straightened up. When was the last time you vacuumed? If you don’t have carpets, when was the last time you mopped or swept?

2. Do laundry

This doesn’t take up a ton of time, but folding the clothes always seems to take forever. If you do two or three loads you could spend an hour doing laundry.

3. Read a book

There are more books available to us than could ever be read in ten lifetimes. Pick one! If you finish that one, pick another one! Books are the most entertaining way of passing time without technology. 

4. Talk to someone!!!

There are seven billion people in the world, find someone to talk to! It’s not that hard. If you can do it on your phone you can do it in real life. Besides, most of the people you talk to on your phone you talked to in person years before you texted them.

5. Go outside and do something

There is always something that you can do outside, especially on a college campus. There are weight rooms, pool tables, swimming pools, rock-climbing walls, hiking trails, and so many other things to do that don’t cost anything extra to do on, and off campus. Think about it, when was the last time you went on a walk; not on a treadmill, but outside?

www.maggieelizabethwrites.com

Sydney Sharpstene is a freshman at App State. She is a Secondary English Education Major and plans to be a high school english teacher when she graduates. Sydney is from Greensboro NC and likes to swim, slack line and sing in her free time.