Could Crocs Be Making A Comeback? A Look Inside London Fashion Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

London Fashion Week has been in full swing with some great hits, but also with some hideous failures. One designer came up with a line centered around something that is leaving the public a little uncertain.

Scottish designer Christopher Kane has brought Crocs back into the fashion scene in a shocking surprise as his models hit the runway. His eccentric collection premiered at Tate Britain on September 19. He is introducing this line as “Rocks on Crocs.” It features marble printed rubber shoes with sparkly jewels in the holes. The common name for the jewels is Jibbitz, which can be found on almost any young child’s pair of Crocs.

Crocs were a huge hit to the public for quite some time, but in recent years, sales have died out, causing the company to close hundreds of stores nationwide in 2014. However, Christopher Kane may have saved the company with his partnership with Crocs. “Christopher Kane’s signature of constant innovation and rebellious femininity perfectly complements one of Crocs,” the company told Vogue UK magazine.

Kane was also quoted in the UK’s Vogue issue, stating that, “I always work with unexpected items and combinations, transforming the everyday into desirable luxury. I wanted to bring my own stamp and DNA to Crocs’ classic clog shoe and achieve something really special. The marble print feels very earthy and I often think of Crocs in a very grounded way, worn with either an evening dress or with jeans, and adding the rock crystals brings a bit of luxury to this everyday style. Crocs are arguably the most comfortable shoe, I love that they are slightly awkward and might be perceived by some as ‘ugly’. They have a very naïve and childlike shape which I especially like when they look extra clunky on the foot.”

According to a poll put out on Vogue’s Twitter page, 70% of people say that Kane’s innovative twist on the otherwise ugly shoe makes no difference on whether they would wear the shoes. They claimed they would never, ever wear Crocs, no matter what designer endorses them. 10% of people said they would probably wear the shoes, but only with Kane’s “magic touch.”

Whether you are a Croc fanatic or not, Christopher Kane sure did throw the fashion world for a loop in this year’s London Fashion Week. Hopefully, for the company’s sake, Kane will save the reputation of the classic rubber shoe and all will be well in the world of Crocs.

Sources:

http://www.vogue.co.uk/article/christopher-kane-crocs-trend

http://footwearnews.com/2016/runway/spring-2017/christopher-kane-crocs-s…

Christiana is a Senior at Appalachian State, where she is an Elementary Education major. She is the Editor in Chief of Her Campus App State and a sister of Sigma Kappa Sorority and serves as her chapter's Vice President of Scholarship. In her free time, Christiana likes to look at cute pictures of puppies, watch Netflix, and eat Ben and Jerry's Half Baked ice cream. She hopes to be a Kindergarten teacher one day, and to be a role model for elementary schoolers everywhere.