Coping With Homesickness on a College Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

So far, your first couple weeks of college have been exciting. Meeting new friends, having free time to do whatever you want, and not answering to anyone.

However, there may be one thing that keeps sitting on your mind: the thought of home. It’s a constant anxiety that never seems to goes away. All you want to do is get in your car and drive home any chance you can get.

That was exactly how I felt my freshman year when I came to college. I felt like a small fish in a pond the size of the ocean. I did not know how to cope with not seeing familiar faces everywhere I went and being away from the comfort of my own home was hard. At times I felt I was not meant at the place I originally thought I was supposed to be. Over time, I learned how to cope with my homesickness. Here is some advice that helped me cope with being homesick. 

1. Get Out of Your Room. Living on campus in a small dorm that you share with others can sometimes feel like a trap. No matter how hard you try, it will never feel as comfortable as your room back home. Get of out of the trap and walk around the beautiful campus here at Appalachian State. Take a stroll on King Street; you don’t always have to buy something!

2. It’s Okay to Be Sad. When I was experiencing homesickness my freshman year, I was always scared to tell people around me how I felt. I would not cry in front of anyone and I faked a  smile if anyone asked the question “Are you okay?”.  I was doing it all wrong. It is completely normal to experience homesickness in college. It is also completely normal to cry and get upset at times. Just do not let these emotions take over your everyday activities, even activities as simple as going to class. To acknowledge that you are homesick and to let out your natural emotions is a step in coping with it.

3.Communicate with Others. Do not think that for one second that you are the only one dealing with homesickness. Talk to others about how you feel. Although it may be awkward, it will help you feel better over time. It is easy to fall into a ‘lonely state of mind’ when you are homesick, but overcome it! One way that I chose to communicate was talk to my new friends about all the great times I had back at home, and how I wanted to make even more great memories here. Communication is key to help you grow out of being homesick.

4.Stay in Touch. Yes, it is okay to give your parents a call every once in a while, along with those high school friends you thought you would never be able to live without. However, know your limits. Staying in touch with your family can be helpful, but calling your family more than five times a day can be a little excessive. Find a balance between calling friends and family back home but not feeling like you have to rush home every chance you get.

5. Stick it Out. My freshman year, I thought the feeling of homesickness would never go away. I thought of transferring to a school closer to home just to be close to my family and friends. However, as hard as it is to believe, it does get better! You eventually get used to your new lifestyle and this place starts to feel like home. Give yourself time, and by time,  I mean more than a couple weeks, to fully cope and beat the feelings of homesickness.

You are in college to pursue what you want to do in life, don’t let the stupid feeling of being homesick get in your way!

Inspried journalist who loves to tell stories. Orginally from Charlotte, North Carolina.