This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Halloween is the perfect time to pretend to be something you’re not. But who knew that so many people wanted to be salt & pepper? Or even just a cat? You know those horrible costumes we’ve all seen one too many times at the bar, the frat party, or even just your friend’s Halloween party. Just to name a few:

The Nurse:

You know, the naughty nurse in that short white dress with red heels that all the girls think is so ‘original.’ For this costume, you probably won’t see many of them out at the bar, but they’re especially popular at frat parties and house parties. You can even get this outfit premade at Spirit Halloween.

The Cat:

This is the ultimate of basic Halloween costumes. The cat costume has almost become the back-up of Halloween costumes when you can’t figure out any other ideas. According to Appalachian State student Ashton Dorsey, “Cat costumes are probably the most worn costume during Halloween in Boone because you can wear enough black clothing to avoid the cold.” And don’t worry, you’ll see more versions of this outfit than almost any other. There’s the sexy cat, probably most often seen at frat parties, the lazy cat, the girl who just put on a pair of ears to wear to her friend’s party or even the bar, and let’s not forget the version of Halle Berry’s Cat Woman.

Oh and don’t forget about the Superhero:

Superheroes are used even more often because they’re gender neutral. Don’t think you’ll miss one of these while you’re out on Halloween night. Just like the cat, this could be pulled to the extreme (sexy superwoman/superman), or someone could just throw a cape over their normal clothes and call it a day. What’s great about the superhero costume is that there’s so many superheroes to choose from. From Spiderman to Wonder Woman, to Batman, there’s something for everyone.

Can you pass the salt & pepper?

The salt and pepper costume is most common amongst couples trying to be clever, but don’t be fooled. There’s many versions of these paired couples from super over done to couples showing up in just T-shirts with the letters marked out in Sharpie.

And last but not least, the ghost.

The ghost has been the most over used costume since childhood, all you need is a white sheet! Few ghosts have been at the bar but don’t doubt your classic house party or even the frat party. This costume is for the most desperate of Halloween participants, for those folks who have no other option, because why else would you be a ghost?