Campus Celeb: Amy Kolowsky

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Name: Amy Kolowsky

Hometown: Columbia, SC

Year: Junior

Major: Psychology Major

Q: So, tell me about BANGS Shoes.
A: BANGS Shoes is a social enterprise that sells shoes. Each color shoe is partnered with a different non-profit that each focuses on different things, but all share the same goal of creating sustainable change and educating others. A portion of profits from each shoe sold goes to it’s respective non-profit!

Q: What’s your first memory of hearing about BANGS?
A: I first heard about BANGS from my best friend in 2010. Her sister, Hannah Davis, is the founder and president. That was when Hannah first came up with the idea, but a long time passed before the company was really up and running.

Q: What made you want to get involved?
A: I wanted to get involved in BANGS because it is innovative and wants to make a difference! Bangs helps remind consumers that creating positive change does not have an easy, short-term solution. The Bangs method of supporting real sustainable change by partnering with non-profit organizations that turn away from experimental charity and support community programs for self-development is more effective and really attracted me. BANGS and its partners all emphasize education, which is what the world really needs!

Q: What makes BANGS unique as opposed to similar brands like TOMS or BOBS?
A: Basically all the reasons explained above. TOMS focuses on handing out shoes (and now eye-sight related improvements). There are four non-profits with BANGS currently (two more to come in June/July!) and each focuses on long-term, sustainable change. For example, Drop In The Bucket builds wells and sanitation systems that will last 20-30 years, and trains the people nearby how to maintain them themselves.

Q: Can you explain each of the non-profits BANGS partners with?
A: SOUL: stands for Support Opportunities for Ugandans to Learn and focuses on development. SOUL is focused on creating educational programs, women’s empowerment, food security and health initiatives in Uganda. They build things like chicken coops, fish farms, and schools for villages.

Global DIRT (Haiti – earthquake, Japan – earthquake, New Zealand – earthquake, Pakistan – floods): stands for Disaster Immediate Response Team. It is an intermediary between larger organizations, hospitals, military and the victims during disaster relief. Its main object is to put the best interest of the victims first. Its small in size but that allows them to provide quick and immediate assistance. They are willing to stay in these places and help the people for long periods. For example, they still have a team in Haiti helping the people there.

Drop in the Bucket (in east Africa, mostly Sudan and Uganda): they have over 200 completed wells. They drill wells, construct sanitation facilities and introduce social programs such as village savings, girls’ clubs, health clubs, etc. They also works to provide schools and communities with tools they need to improve child health, increase school enrollment and promote gender equality. For example, they focus on building these wells and systems at schools to encourage attendance and even see a 200-300% increase in attendance of children at these schools.

CHOICE Humanitarian (Kenya, Nepal, Bolivia, Guatemala and Mexico): CHOICE stands for the Center for Humanitarian Outreach and Inter-Cultural Exchange and focuses on hunger relief. They believe all people have the right to become self-reliant, that women must be equal citizens, and rich or poor, everyone has something they can contribute culturally, socially, economically and environmentally.

Q: What is your favorite thing about being a part of this organization?
A: I’m not sure what to choose! I have learned so much, and I love being able to spread the word about such a great company and cause! I get so excited every time I have the opportunity. It is awesome to be involved and work with everyone on the team.

Q: How would someone go about getting involved with BANGS?
A: There are a lot of ways! There are campus teams at 24 different schools. You can find their leader’s contact information at http://www.bangsshoes.com/touch-base/. But if you don’t see your school, don’t worry! You can start one at a school yourself! Go to http://www.bangsshoes.com/get-involved/ for more details!

Q: Is there anything else you’d like to add?
A: Check out BANGS Shoes at www.bangsshoes.com or email me kolowskya@email.appstate.edu if you are interested in buying a pair of shoes or getting involved!

Senior Marketing and Management major at App State.