The Best Workout Classes at ASU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

We may live on a mountain, but that doesn’t mean we can just skip going to the gym. There’s nothing wrong with working out alone, but it can be hard to motivate yourself to do ten extra crunches or even to work out for just five more minutes. That’s why group exercise classes are so fantastic! I’ve been to a large variety of workout classes at App and I’ve finally decided on the best three (in my opinion).  

AB ATTACK

The name alone is enough to scare anyone but seriously, this class is phenomenal. All of the instructors are fantastic – I’ve never been to a bad abs class. Every single time I go, the instructor always manages to leave me sore for a minimum of three days. It hurts to laugh after these classes. Nonetheless, I highly recommend going.

The hardest part about the class is definitely when we get on the exercise balls to work on our abs. I always spend most of my time climbing back on the ball after I’ve fallen off. I’ll be honest, I’m definitely not as in shape as some of the girls that show up at these classes, but it doesn’t matter. I’ve seen an improvement already!

The classes are only thirty minutes so the time flies by. Plus, the shorter class time means the instructors don’t mess around. These are also great because you can work at your own pace, so you won’t feel as intimidated!   It may be December, but just think about how great it’ll be come spring break when you can wear a bathing suit and show off your abs. Aim to go to two of these classes a week and I guarantee you’ll notice a difference. 

WATER AEROBICS

The stereotypical water aerobics class is a class with old women shuffling around in a pool while complaining that they don’t want to get wet.

The water aerobics class at App is not like that. It’s exhausting.

I went to my first water aerobics class on Tuesday and it kicked my butt. We would do regular exercises but the water forced me to change how I typically did the exercise. The abs were probably the hardest part; I had to float on my back while doing the abs exercise. Bless Jessi’s (the instructor) heart – she stayed by me and kept reminding me what I was doing wrong. It must have paid off – my abs were unbelievably sore the next day when I got up. We also did a lot of water treading and pull-ups which were hard (again) but I’m sure it’ll help tone my arms. The instructors were fabulous and very patient with everyone being on different skill levels.

And don’t even pull the excuse of not being able to swim. I’m a horrible swimmer and I was able to get through the class without any instances of almost drowning.

In addition to giving me a great work, I love not being able to tell I’m sweating. The downside is that I smell like chlorine but I’d rather smell like chlorine than B.O.  Make sure to check it out on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5 to 6 in the SREC pool.  

[pagebreak]

URBAN DANCE

Every time I invite someone to the class, the first thing out of their mouth is “I can’t dance,”.  I’ll let you in on a secret – almost no one in the class can dance. The important thing for this class is to keep moving and burning calories! The urban dance and Zumba classes are offered daily because of their popularity, but I think the best classes are on Tuesdays in Quinn (8:30 – 9:30) and Thursdays at Mount Mitchell (8:00 – 9:00).  Jerrin is the instructor for both classes (she sometimes has a partner on Tuesdays) and she’s beyond incredible. If you love Beyonce, this is the class for you. Jerrin loves incorporating as many “bootylicious” songs as she can. Besides, you’ll probably gain abs from laughing so hard at all the embarrassing dance moves Jerrin makes you do.

So don’t let the wintertime deter you from staying in shape! The holiday goodies pack on the pounds and before you know it, spring break will be here! Try one of these classes and you’ll be amazed with how different you look and feel. 

Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!