The Best Playlists For Every Occasion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

We all need different types of music for every occasion; studying for exams in the library on Sunday afternoons, getting ready to go out on a Friday night, tailgating for football on Saturday… The list goes on. It can be difficult to find the perfect playlists that will fully satisfy whatever mood you are in. Thanks to Spotify, you can now look up playlists based on whatever mood you are in, or occasion you are about to be in. Click on the Browse button on the side bar, and you will see a “Genres and Moods” tab, where you will be directed to numerous subgenres that hold hundreds of playlists based on your mood or what you are doing. Here are some of the best playlists offered:

1. Studying all day in the library.

Subgenre: Focus        

Playlist Name: “Deep Focus”

This relaxing playlist offers an assortment of underground artists that will make hours of studying go by in the blink of an eye. The majority of these artists produce music that sound a lot like the music heard on Friday Night Lights (if you’ve never seen the show, stop reading this, go on Netflix and binge watch away; you’ll thank me later.) Some of the best artists on this playlist include Explosions in the Sky, Message To Bears, and Toe (weird name, awesome artist).

Subgenre: Focus

Playlist Name: “Acoustic Concentration”

This playlist provides you with some of the best guitarists you have never heard of. If you are a fan of John Butler Trio, then go save this playlist to your Spotify account immediately. The playlist even has some unexpected artists thrown in there, such as Brad Paisley. Some of the best artists on this playlist include Erik Mongrain and Andy Mckee.

2. Long drives.

Subgenre: Travel

Playlist Name: “Morning Commute”

This playlist will be sure to wake you up on the way to your 8 a.m class everyday. The songs included in this playlist are more mainstream, upbeat, and catchy. The artists range from Ariana Grande and Neon Trees, to Coldplay and Ed Sheeran.

Subgenre:  Travel

Playlist Name:70’s Roadtrip”

Put your windows down and enjoy the ride. This playlist will throw you back to the 1970s and provide you with some classics your parents listened to back in the day. Not into old school tunes? Just give it a try. Some of the best artists on this playlist include Aerosmith, Bruce Springsteen, and The Rolling Stones.

Before a night out.

Subgenre: Party

Playlist Name: “Back2College”

This playlist throws it back to the early 2000s and also includes some of today’s hit songs, too. The music ranges from your middle school dances, to your senior year prom, to the bar last Saturday night. You’ll actually enjoy getting ready for your night with this playlist. Some of the best artists on this playlist include Kendrick Lamar, 50 Cent, and Juicy J.

Subgenre: Party

Playlist Name: “Young, Wild, and Free”

This playlist ranges from rap to techno to dubstep. You won’t be disappointed with the random assortment of songs that will come up on shuffle. Some of the best artists on this playlist include Far East Movement, Drake, and Kid Cudi.

The day after your night out.

Subgenre: Sleep

Playlist Name: “Atmospheric Calm”

Unwind and lounge around all day with this relaxing playlist.  It won’t get rid of that nagging headache you may have, but it can’t hurt either. Some of the best artists on this playlist include Bon Iver, Glowworm, and Emancipator.

Subgenre: Sleep

Playlist Name: “Nap Away”

The name of this playlist says it all. You’ll get a mix of acoustic and alternative styles, both of which will put you to sleep. Some of the best artists on this playlist include Ben Hoawrd, The Civil Wars, and Damien Rice.