Beating the Wintertime Blues: Tips to a Healthier and Happier You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

I don’t know about y’all but every year, somewhere between the time I pack away all of my shorts and tank tops, and the first snowfall, I lose all motivation to continue to stick to my work out regimen. It literally never fails. Maybe it’s because I begin to subconsciously realize that I don’t have to be in a bikini for the next 8 months, or maybe its because the thought of cuddling up on the couch when the weather is cold is all too enticing. Either way, it puts me in a slump. One of the hardest things to do is to pick up where you left off after a few weeks or even a few days of laziness. So get to it ladies! Cold weather is not an excuse to lose motivation and become unhealthy. With these tips you can maintain that great looking body that you worked so hard for all summer and avoid suffering those wintertime blues.

Get out of your house/apartment/ dorm room!

Yes, I am talking to you! Get off that couch and get moving! While it may be too cold out to go for a casual walk around Boone, it’s never too cold to gather some friends and spend a few hours at the gym. We have three amazing exercise facilities on this campus, so use them! If you aren’t super athletic, spend an hour walking around the track with a friend or reading a book while riding the stationary bike. These simple, low impact activities can boost your metabolism and, believe it or not, improve your day from start to finish. Because, when you exercise, you feel good about yourself and, when you feel good about yourself, you can’t help but have a good day.

[pagebreak]

Start your morning off right
I can’t say that I am not guilty of hitting snooze a thousand times until it is fifteen minutes before I have to be in class. However, one of the best ways to jumpstart your morning and avoid that midday exhaustion is to get up and get active early. Try waking up an hour or two before you have to leave for class and exercise in the morning. Find a work out video that you enjoy doing and voila! You never have to leave your home! If you’re trying to drop a few pounds, working out in the morning is the way to go because it shocks your body and quickens your metabolism for the rest of the day. So to all of you morning people out there, try a quick 30-minute work out and finish off your morning with a well-balanced breakfast. Come two o’clock, you will be amazed at how awake and alert you feel.

Make a plan (and stick to it).
While we may not all be the super organized type, sometimes it can help to make a plan and actually write it down. Customize your own exercise plan to the specific activities that YOU enjoy doing. For example, do not push yourself to run 3 miles a day if you know you hate running. This is one of the quickest ways to break your plan. Instead look for ways to exercise that interest you. From Zumba, to kick boxing, to yoga, the possibilities are endless. Once you create your plan, post it at your desk, on your refrigerator, or in your planner. Put it in a place where you will be reminded of the commitment you made to yourself every day. Then, put your plan in action. If the exercise doesn’t make you feel better, accomplishing your goal surely will.

Not only does exercise make you feel and look better, but it also gives you an added confidence boost so, put these tips into action and you will be on the fast track to a healthier and happier you in no time!

Brittany Fielding is a senior studying Apparel Design and Merchandising at Appalachian State University. She loves to write, shop, exercise, watch sports, and spend time with her friends and family. Originally from Cleveland, OH, Brittany plans on moving back to a big city after graduation to pursue a career in fashion buying/merchandising. 
Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!