Be Careful Of Your Voting Selfie This Election Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

“But first, let me take a selfie,” or “take a picture or it didn’t happen,” is the motto of many millennials by these days. But when it comes to voting at the polls, you should be careful of exactly what you’re capturing with your selfie.

Recently, Justin Timberlake casted his presidential vote in Tennessee. While doing so, he took a selfie…

Although Timberlake had good intentions, the state of Tennessee prohibits voters from taking pictures or videos while at the polls. Timberlake could have ended up with a small fine and 30 days behind bars. Luckily, the local DA decided to drop the case.

Now we need to ask: can you snap a selfie at a North Carolina voting poll?

North Carolina is one of 19 states that does not allow pictures or videos taken inside any polling place. Only 18 states allow the practice. In many states, the law is unclear. Also, in all 50 states, it is illegal to take a picture with your absentee ballot. Who would have thought?

Drew Berrymore captures her voting selfie via Instagram. 

In the age of social media, voters feel it is important to capture such a monumental moment. For some of us, this is the first presidential election we are voting in. So what’s the big deal with capturing a ballot selfie?

Many think that taking a picture of your ballot promotes ballot buying. Ballot buying is basically what it says – when someone pays someone else to vote a certain way. A picture at the polls can prove it.

The law across many states is still a little fuzzy, and doing a quick scroll on any social media account using the hashtag #ivoted will show plenty of people snapping ballot selfies.

It is perfectly acceptable to show off your civic pride, but make sure you do it legally this election day. 

Sources: 

http://www.tmz.com/2016/10/25/justin-timberlake-selfie-voting-crime-jail/

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/27/entertainment/justin-timberlake-vote/

Inspried journalist who loves to tell stories. Orginally from Charlotte, North Carolina.