Ballin’ On A Budget? Me too!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

I’ve been told a time or two that I have “champagne taste on a beer budget” and I would whole-heartedly agree. Budgeting can be a scary concept to a 20-something collegiette without a job and an urge to stay up with the latest trends. College is all about embracing minimalism and to me that means only having what truly matters…but sometimes I want a little extra. You don’t have to spend a fortune to lead the lifestyle you wish to. Until I’m an established adult, I’ll be ballin’ on a budget.

I like to ball out as much as the next person (by ball out I mean purchasing Cosmopolitan AND Southern Living at the grocery store), but ballin’ out isn’t always practical with my collegiette finances. I’ll admit that after a stressful school week, a new coffee mug or a lunch date out can perk me right up. Below are a few ways I cut costs without sacrificing the ~fancy~ lifestyle I attempt to lead.

Candles

I want my apartment to smell like a garden 24/7, because I want my home to be welcoming and relaxing when I have friends over. Walmart has a huge variety of candles, wax melters, and plug-ins that are incredibly affordable. I’m talking $1 and up. My heart melts quicker than my fresh cotton candle when I find a good sale.

Social Media

Following your favorite small businesses on social media is a must! Small businesses will often post a sale of the day or a giveaway online to reward their customers for being loyal. Businesses will also let you know when new merchandise is arriving to the store or announce the last call on their social media outlets. Social media is also an incredible couponing tool. I always search the Internet for coupons to use when printing out photos, purchasing groceries, planning a weekend away, or receiving free shipping.

Carry-All Bag

I love a good over the shoulder bag that can easily hold my planner, wallet, IPhone, and granola bar for class. This Longchamp inspired bag was a total of $3 from the dollar section at Target! That’s right $3! This is where self-control came in and told me I should only purchase the one bag and not one in each available color. 

Fitness

When Mother Nature kindly graces Boone with a warm and sunny day, I take my fitness routine outside! Boone collegiettes are fortune enough to have endless options of outside workout space. The Greenway Trail, King Street, campus recreation centers, and the parkway are all amazing places to get your fitness on to avoid paying hefty gym membership dues. So grab a few friends and head outdoors to enjoy your workout!

Stationary

A kind gesture towards friends or family doesn’t have to cost you a fortune. I’ve learned that a hand written note never goes out of style! We millennials often forget how appreciated a hand-written note truly is. I stock up on stationary at Walmart, Target, Michael’s, TJ Maxx, and Marshall’s with price tags ranging from $1 to $8. 

Student Discounts & Rewards Programs

The world has finally realized how much money collegiettes don’t have to spend. A variety of different stores and restaurants graciously extend a student discount or a rewards program to its shoppers to help curb cost. During the month of September, Harris Teeter is rewarding college students with 10% off their grocery bill after enrolling in their college student rewards program. Comeback Shack, Los, and many other local restaurants also offer a 10% discount when you present your student ID!

Sometimes ballin’ out is opening a tab at the bar and other times it’s sipping on your boxed wine from your couch. No mater how big or small your budget may be, never forget you can always ball on a budget!

Happy saving collegiettes!

Rachele is a senior at Appalachian State University earning a degree in public relations with a minor in marketing. You can find Rachele running at the Greenway, double-tapping on Insta, or dancing in her kitchen.