Appalachian’s Sassiest Alumnae: Meet Jamie Hayes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Jamie Hayes is an Appalachian State alumna who makes sure to give back to the college that gave her so much. When asked about her college experience, Jamie responded, “My four years of college was the best years of my life.”

Jamie graduated Appalachian State in 1988 with a degree in middle-school education with a concentration in language arts and social studies. Jamie also received her master’s degree at ASU in middle school language arts. Today, Jamie is a 6th grade teacher at Hardin Park Elementary.

Originally from Wilkesboro, attending college at App State gave Jamie an outlet to meet new people and try something different. In her college years, Jamie joined Alpha Delta Pi sorority where she served as recruitment chair and executive vice-president. Jamie was also involved with Hall Council when she lived in Eggers Hall her freshman year and Cannon Hall her sophomore year.

Soon after graduation, Jamie moved to Greensboro with her husband Chris. After a few short years in Greensboro, Jamie and her family moved to Archdale, NC. “I’ve always wanted to move back to Boone,” Jamie said. When the opportunity came 9 years ago, Jamie and her family did not think twice.

While living in Boone, Jamie has been able to be apart of the Appalachian community more than ever. Jamie and her husband are members of the Yosef Club and actively donate to the Appalachian Fund every year. Jamie also enjoys spending her Saturday at The Rock supporting App State football. Jamie has held season tickets to the games since 1986.

Jamie has two daughters that keep her very busy. Her first daughter Rebecca, is 20 years old and plays volleyball at Trinity University in San Antonio, Texas. After having a stillborn son in 2000, Jamie was blessed with a second daughter Grace, who is now a sophomore at Watauga High School. Today, Jamie balances her time between supporting Rebecca and Grace playing volleyball, whether it is hopping on a plane to San Antonio or spending hours in the gym at Watauga High School.

Around Boone, you can catch Jamie helping the ladies of Alpha Delta Pi sorority as their chapter advisor or participating in hand-bells at the First Baptist Church of Boone. After much thought of what her favorite restaurant was in Boone, Jamie said Vidalia on King Street. 

“I want people to know that I am more kind-hearted than I appear,” Jamie said. Although she isn’t afraid to show her sassy side, Jamie has a big heart and cares a lot about people. “I want everyone to be included and wanted,” Jamie said.

Appalachian State is a better place with support of alumni like Jamie. Thank you for all you do!

Inspried journalist who loves to tell stories. Orginally from Charlotte, North Carolina.