An App Student’s Guide to Getting Around Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

As the beginning of the school year is upon all of us Collegiettes, we are unfortunately back to making treks across campus from class to class. For some, that means rushing from places on west campus, like Walker, all the way to Sanford. Regardless of the route you take, most of them are uphill both ways. They’ll make great stories when you can say that you made the dreaded walk “uphill both ways in the snow”,  like so many generations before us.

However, there may be some shortcuts you didn’t know about that involve fewer stairs and less foot traffic. 

First, I’ll mention two big hubs that tons of students congregate at: the Raley and Library traffic circles. These are two main spots that many off-campus students unload from the Appalcart and swarm the sidewalks. It’s easy to get caught up in the initial rush to get away from the buses, especially if you’re running a little late for class. Most of us glance around for a tiny opening to get through from the stampede without being trampled. Don’t let the crowds overwhelm you! Use the time you have on the bus ride to make a plan that’ll get you to class in the most efficient way. A handy tool you can also use is the online map of campus that allows you to look up buildings.

My bus route takes me to the Raley Circle, and most of my classes are in the College of Education. I personally like to avoid the crazy set of stairs and hills that lead up to the library, so I opt to go behind Chapell Wilson Hall where there are far less people stopping to chat with their friends.  If you’re journeying from the Raley Circle to somewhere on the east side of campus, try taking one of the shortcuts beside Smith-Wright Hall. I rarely see students use that path, and it cuts down on going all the way around Anne Belk Hall!

Another path less traveled is the sidewalk that leads behind the Student Union, next to the Post Office. If you’re looking to avoid an awkward encounter with an ex on Sanford Mall, this is definitely the best option for you. The majority of people on campus will be hanging out on Sanford when the weather is nice, so if you do find yourself going by it, watch out for extra distractions like cute dogs and rogue Frisbees. An asset that I recently started using is the Sky Bridge. I use it to get across River Street, which is almost impossible with the never ending traffic. 

Of course, I can’t leave out those that are living off campus and have the pleasure of riding the Appalcart. For some, this is the first school year they’ve dealt with the bus system and it comes with a set of unspoken rules that can be a little overwhelming. There’s the obvious rules like never getting on through the back door (which is strictly used for exiting). Appalcart drivers may not show mercy if they catch you sneaking through it! Secondly, don’t be afraid to sit next to someone you don’t know. It happens to all of us at some point, although it never hurts to double check the back of the bus for empty rows. If you get stuck standing, the best places are seats with floor-to-ceiling poles for extra stability. When bad weather hits, be prepared for fuller buses and get your bus-legs ready! I’d also like to mention that contrary to Yik Yak posts, you never have to pull the cord to stop at the Library or Raley circles. Don’t let silly rumors like that fool you! Perhaps the most important tip is to always thank your Appalcart driver. They really appreciate the courtesy, and trust me; they remember the people that are rude to them. 

With the tips listed here, go out and conquer your paths to class whether they start from your dorm, or your Appalcart stop! 

Picture Credits:
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.2121573,-81.6796782,3a,75y,319.43h,82.69t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjsclTW923DzqpJxfUmz2LA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1