About “Unplug Yosef and Get Outside”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

The ASU Humanities Outdoor Play and Health Research Cluster, a group of faculty studying the benefits of outdoors and physical activity, is hosting Unplug Yosef and Get Outside on April 6 from 1pm-6pm at Grandfather Mountain, The Blue Ridge Parkway, The Greenway, Sanford Mall, Durham Park, and on Duck Pond Field. Come on out and enjoy the great outdoors!

Three years ago the humanities research cluster got together and started reading books and collecting articles that encouraged people to get outdoors. Their first year they went on a retreat inspired by a Harvard business review article to get outside and enjoy nature, with no technology. Through this retreat they were empowered and wanted to share this experience with not only themselves but with the ASU community. Rebecca Battista (Exercise Science), Joy James (Recreation Management), Tatyana Ruseva (Government & Justice Studies), Anna Ward (Theater), Diane Waryold (College Student Development), and Pia Albinsson (Marketing) alongside students created and facilitated the Unplug Yosef and Get Outside event to produce an environment for people to understand and enjoy the benefits of outdoor activity. The funding for this event is through a community-grant with Discover the Forest.

This year you can expect to experience Rock Dimension’s climbing wall, a ranger to lead hike at Moses Cone on the Blue Ridge Parkway, a Hike at Elk Knob State Park, and activities on campus led by the American Marketing Association, , the Recreation Management Association, the Turchin Center, the Health Promotions Club, Outdoor Programs, Seeds of Change, Her Campus, and many others. By giving up your time with technology you get a raffle ticket for prizes! You get a ticket for as many activities that you participate in. Prizes include hammocks, national passes to forest and parks, footslogger gift cards, and a $500 plane ticket for an outdoor adventure.  It has been shown that as students, we are more productive with some outdoor activity! So take an afternoon and enjoy yourself in the great outdoors.

Here is a link to the schedule of activities:

http://op.appstate.edu/pagesmith/240

Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!