Style > Fashion

8 STYLE TRENDS YOU HAVE TO TAKE INTO 2024

Updated Published

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

As we step into the new year, many of us fashion lovers are wondering: What should we add to our closets to stay stylish in the coming months? For me, January calls for donating my unworn pieces and refreshing my wardrobe. That includes mixing your timeless classics with the new year’s trends! So if you’re in the mood for a wardrobe refresh, we’ve got you covered. This roundup is your sneak peek into the trends that will dominate clothing racks, online shopping carts, and social media feeds in 2024. 

1. BESPOKE JEWELRY

As we transition from the quiet luxury of 2023 to the new year, jewelry transforms from a mere accessory into a key player in elevating your entire look. No longer a last-minute addition, it becomes the cornerstone of your ensemble. Whether you’re in pursuit of timeless investments or eye-catching statements for the upcoming season, look no further than the versatile charm necklace. This accessory has not only dominated my #StyleTok feed but has also become a must-have on my holiday wish list. My favorite maker? Wearable poetry maker Haricot Vert. Seriously, she has the most unique, girly charms! You can also find more affordable, similar options on Etsy.

2. STATEMENT EARRINGS

Statement earrings are stealing the spotlight in 2024. While the classic hoop or simple pearls will always have their place, the chicest ensembles of the moment are undoubtedly flaunting eye-catching earrings. Whether you lean towards the timeless allure of gold or the sleek elegance of silver (the superior choice, IMO), Ibiza Passion has you covered with stunning pieces that won’t break the bank — perfect for the college student on a budget. I’m obsessed with Ibiza Passion’s Empowered Earrings in Silver ($88) and the understated glamour of the Pensive Earrings in Gold ($56), effortlessly elevating my everyday outfits. 

3. TOP COLOR: BROWN

Brown is the perfect shade for 2024! Not only does it work for fall and winter, but it’s made it’s way to the Spring 2024 runways, too. Plus, it’s a timeless color for your wardrobe and an instant staple! Among my top picks are the Marcella NYC Cooper Top in Espresso ($85), featuring a draped neckline for a touch of elegance, paired with their Gina Pants ($110) for an effortlessly sophisticated and stylish look. If you really want to stand out in 2024, a pair of brown knee high boots is the perfect addition. I’m going to be wearing with my Brown Leather Belmore Knee High Boots ($325) from Duo Boots, and the versatile Gracie Tall Boot from LifeStride ($100) — two chic additions to your new year wardrobe.

4. COLORED TIGHTS

Elevating your style game this season is all about embracing creative flourishes — whether it’s strategically adding bows or opting for oversized belts. As indicated by both runways and social media, there’s a fashion-forward item destined to become a staple: vibrant tights. Luckily, this is a cheap and easy way to elevate your 2024 outfits! Slip into a pair like these Opaque Tights ($9) from Target.

5. MATCHING SETS

Matching sets are here to stay! Whether it’s the laid-back allure of loungewear sets or the dynamic aesthetic of athleisure outfits, matching sets have become a staple. With such a vast selection, the variety might feel a bit overwhelming. My favorites for 2024? Definitely the Forever Fleece ¼ Zip ($84) and matching joggers ($89) by Athleta. Even on my laziest on-campus days, it makes me feel put together and ready for class! If you’re going for a sleeker, yet still super-comfy look (that can also double as your pilates fit), the Secondleft Sport Jacket ($118) and Original Leggings ($88) are going to become my go-tos.

And the fashion vibes won’t be limited to just your outside wardrobe – it’s making its way into our homes too! The girlies are obsessed with adorable, matching pajamas in the new year. There’s something about slipping into coordinated sleepwear that instantly boosts your cuteness quotient and makes you feel perfectly put together—because who doesn’t love that vibe? Currently, my go-to favorites are Bluebella’s Tarcon Eco Viscose Long Pajama Set in Black ($84)  and the Marla Eco Viscose Short Pajama Set in Pale Pink ($69). The cherry on top? These pajamas are customizable! Not only are they the ideal treat for yourself, but they also double as fantastic gifts for your besties.

6. VISIBLE BRA

I’ll be honest, this trend wasn’t on my 2024 radar, but it makes so much sense! With the rise of the exposed bra in so many different forms, I  should have seen it coming. It screams Carrie Bradshaw, and who doesn’t want to be as fashionable as her? To hop on this trend, consider elevating your undergarment style with Bluebella’s beautiful, lacy Maresille Bra ($64) in white. Or, if you’re more of a bralette-girl like me, consider the Marseille Lace Bralette ($58) in black!

7. BALLETCORE

Balletcore, a continuing trend from 2023, graces the runways of New York Fashion Week yet again with its ballet-inspired allure. Contrary to its name, it’s not about leg warmers and sweatbands but channels the grace of ballerinas through ballet flats, shrugs, flattering tops, and delicate hair ribbons. Embrace this trend effortlessly with key pieces like the Free People Duo Corset Women’s Cami ($48) for a touch of elegance, the Free People Seamless Have It All Women’s Long Sleeve Top ($58) for comfort and style, and the West of Melrose Women’s Tube Top Shrug Set ($23) — all found at Tilly’s — for a complete ensemble that captures the sophistication of Balletcore. The most important accessory? A pair of ballet flats, of course. Feel free to experiment with different colors and patterns, but the most versatile (and trendy) ballet-isnpired color of the year has to be silver. Try out the adorable look yourself with LifeStride’s square-toed Cameo Flats in Silver Synthetic ($70)!

8. SHEER LOVE

Sheer clothing burst onto the scene last year, and guess what? It’s been stealing the fashion spotlight ever since. Sheer pieces are basically the MVPs of the “second-skin” trend, making it super easy and fun to dive into sexier looks in 2024. Let’s talk essentials — say hello to the Madison Bolero ($66) from Marcella NYC, your go-to piece that effortlessly throws sheer vibes over any sleeveless outfit. My staple sheer piece? The stunning Eloise Sheer Turtleneck ($64) in the color of the year, Espresso. 

Madison Lipe

App State '23

Hi! I'm a senior journalism major here at App State with a minor in marketing. I'm from Denver, NC, which is a suburb outside of Charlotte, NC. I enjoy writing lifestyle pieces and I've been writing for HerCampus for three years.
Madison Bailey

App State '23

Madison Bailey is a national writer at Her Campus Media focusing on all things style, beauty, and lifestyle. She works closely with the style and lifestyle verticals at Her Campus, including reviews, roundups, sustainable style, and pop-culture. After graduating from Appalachian State University in May 2023 where she was Campus Coordinator of Her Campus at App State, Madison has written for Teen Vogue, Modeliste Magazine, Global Garbs, and more. Her time as Head Writer for The Collective Magazine, Appalachian State’s fashion and culture magazine, sparked her passion for the exciting world of fashion. She is currently working in marketing at Modeliste Magazine where she’s able to celebrate her favorite things; fashion, beauty, and travel. In her free time, you can find Madison soaking in all the beauty that the Blue Ridge Mountains have to offer. Or, when she’s not writing, you can find her thrifting, sipping a raspberry matcha, or cooking her favorite vegan meals!