7 Clever Purchases to Add to your Black Friday List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

If you’re joining the pack of shoppers taking on the stores on black Friday I’m sure you’re already dreaming about waiting in line at the mall at midnight vying for the perfect holiday items.  After all, deals this good only come once a year!

In the heat of the moment, you would so drop $50 on an impulse buy because its 75% off, but decisions like that often lead to buyer’s remorse.  Before you wreak havoc on your bank account, you may want to slow down and make a list of what youre hunting for this year.

Here is a roundup of some overlooked items any collegiette would be crazy to pass up with such high markdowns!

Roommate Gifts

Yes it may sound like common sense, but once we return from Thanksgiving break, exams are on top of us.  As the year slips by us, sneaking away to shop for gifts before you leave in early December is just one more thing to worry about.  If you think (and shop) ahead you can save yourself some stress and some cash by picking up a thoughtful gift for your roommates over Thanksgiving break. 

Business Attire

With the second semester comes interviews for club positions, summer jobs and internships.  A blazer, a nice pair of pants and a blouse or two are a great start to a professional wardrobe, which many college students struggle to build last minute when they accept a job with a dress code.  If you act now, you can invest in some quality staple pieces for a fraction of the price.

Graduation Gifts

You think to give graduation gifts for your friends that leave at the end of May, but for those of us graduating in December, a sweet parting gift is just as important!

Apartment Decor

If you’re planning on moving into an apartment next year, black Friday is the perfect opportunity to start building your stash of house wares. Kitchen stores are a goldmine and by shopping for pots, plates, wall art and small appliances early you lessen the burden of buying it all the summer before the move.  If you are already living off campus, this is a great time to glam up your space. Or, if a roommate furnished your kitchen alone, begin to stock up on some key items so when you move out, your next apartment isn’t left without some basics. 

Your Favorite _____ . In every color.

Do you wear the same favorite pair of jeans every other day? Take note of the cut and size and if the store is having a big sale, grab it in a different wash before you wear a hole in them! Same goes for boots, leggings, and solid tees.  If you miss your chance out at the stores, these items are perfect cyber Monday purchases because you know your correct size and you already trust the quality.

Craft Supplies

Usually art supply stores have great discounts. Get your craft fix now, and it should keep you going the rest of the year.  Once classes let out at the end of the semester, you’re suddenly given a lot more free time to let your creative juices flow.  If you’re making Christmas gifts for your family or friends, don’t miss this opportunity to pick up paint, yarn, canvasses for next to nothing. 

Splurges

Whether it’s a cute statement necklace for the holiday parties or a new purse, finding a killer deal on something fun is what this “retail holiday” is all about.  You deserve a little something special too, just be sure to set a budget ahead of time!

Kendall is a senior at Appalachian State studying Communication Studies and Journalism.  Though she grew up in the Queen City, she is the daughter of two former Mountaineers and has always considered Boone a second home.  She has a love for dirty chai lattes, Grey's Anatomy, red lipstick, and a future in Television News.