6 Ways to Decorate Spooktacularly for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

It’s almost that time of the year again! One of the best things about Halloween is the decorations. So we are here with six ideas to make sure that your decorations are 100% on point.

Spider webs (spiders optional)

Spider webs are a must have during Halloween decorating. Spider webs are classic and easy to use in a multitude of ways. Whether you want to decorate the exterior of your house, or create the perfect setting for a spooky party inside, spider webs are always quick and easy to put up and are sure to leave a lasting impression on your guests. The best part is that even if you don’t have a house, you can still put a spider web on the door of your dorm room or apartment. Spiders, of course, are optional but always add to the effect.

Ghost/Skeletons

Everyone has seen the hanging ghost skeletons that usually go in trees, but why stop with trees? Why not attach one to the door or the ceiling? Most of the time, if you have something you can hang a string on, you have a place to hang the skeleton. Don’t have any places like that? Get a command strip from Wal-Mart and hang it wherever you want.

Eerie lights

Half of Halloween is messing with people’s minds to scare them. Eerie lights are great for this because you set them up so that they cast a shadow in just the right way that it makes your whole setup look like the deadliest of haunted houses. If there’s music to accompany this, then that makes it better! The lights are so easy to set up too! You just have to plug it up or put batteries into the bottom, set it at the angle you want, and turn it on (or set it to be turned on at a certain time or by motion).

Moving things 

Nothing is scarier or more awesome than walking up to someone’s door and all of a sudden the skeleton laying on the ground moves or begins to talk. Even the cliché “boo!” is terrifying when you aren’t expecting it! Plus it is so easy now to set up. Most of the time, all you have to do is add batteries, put it close enough to the walking path where people will trigger the motion sensor, and sit back and watch the fun begin.

Fog

Nothing says eerie like fog, especially near Halloween. Fog is so cool to use because it limits the ability to see, so you don’t know what you are about to cross paths with. This decoration is almost solely mental in its application, but very effective. It’s also easy to set up. Much like the moving things, all you need is either a power cord or batteries. Most small fog machines have three settings, on, on with time delay, and motion sensed, and if you are willing to spend a little extra, you can get one with sound and a remote control and really scare everyone!

Pumpkins

Maybe you don’t want your decorations to be scary. A lot of people think about the small children and opt for a more cheerful setup. In this case, it’s always good to use spider webs with or without small spiders and of course – pumpkins!

Pumpkin carving is easy, as long as you are an adult who knows how to not cut themselves with knives by accident. It can take anywhere from thirty minutes to a few hours and is great for groups or families! When you’re done you can keep them inside or outside, so they are good decorations at apartments or dorms!

Whatever you decide to do in decorating, we hope that it turns out spooktacular! Good luck and Happy Halloween!

Sources

Sydney Sharpstene is a freshman at App State. She is a Secondary English Education Major and plans to be a high school english teacher when she graduates. Sydney is from Greensboro NC and likes to swim, slack line and sing in her free time.