5 Southern Cities You NEED To Visit This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Looking for the perfect place for a fun weekend getaway this summer? Look no further!

While some of these cities are well known staples of the south, any traveler knows that some of the best places to go are those that stay under the radar, well, away from tourist traps that is. Here are the five cities worth roadtripping to this summer:

1. New Orleans, Louisiana

If you have never been to New Orleans, you NEED to go. This small southern city is different from the rest. With rich culture and history, NOLA is the best place to go if you are a historical junkie. There are multiple ghost tours going on everyday, and even voodoo stands all over the French Quarter. Plus, if you are an American Horror Story fan, the filming locations here are open to the public!

2. St. Simons, Georgia

A lot of people know Hilton Head, but not St. Simons. St. Simons is a small beach town a little south of Hilton Head. If you are in search of a Notebook movie type of summer romance, this is the perfect place for that to happen. Although not a lot goes on in the night here, it is a beautiful island to unwind and explore.

3. Nashville, Tennessee

Holding the title of “Music City, U.S.A”, everyone knows Nashville is the ideal place to go for a lively nightlife and (obviously) great music. Along with this, Nashville has a bunch of cute, quaint coffee shop that makes for super cute Instagram pictures.

4. Beaufort, South Carolina

While many opt for Charleston, this coastal city is much more low-key and offers the same pristine beauty and history. Popular activities to do here are: biking through the Spanish Moss Trail, sailing, and kayaking. If you’re looking for a place to relax and truly get away from everything, this is the perfect location.

5. Savannah, Georgia

Last but certainly not least, Savannah is a quaint southern town with so much to offer, such as shopping, food, bars, and gorgeous views. Featuring old antebellum style homes and spooky vampire tours, Savannah is perfect for a girls or couples weekend. 

Happy road tripping! 

Sources:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g54135-Activities-Beaufort_South_Carolina.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g60814-Activities-Savannah_Georgia.html