5 Shows You Need to Start Watching Immediately

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Cable TV has become less and less popular due to the rise of sites like Netflix and Hulu Plus, but it has really stepped up its game this past fall with exciting new series. Here are a few top picks from different networks that will make you log off Pinterest and pay attention to the tube.

1. How to Get Away with Murder, ABC, Thursdays, 10 p.m.

The super talented Viola Davis stuns in this prime time thriller following the lives of a high-profile lawyer and several law students hoping to make it in the “big leagues.” Bonus: British hottie Alfred Enoch, who played Dean Thomas in the Harry Potter films, is one of the main characters!

1. Jane the Virgin, the CW, Mondays, 9 p.m.

This dramedy is all about the so-called “immaculate conception” of a devout Latina named Jane Villanueva, played by Gina Rodriguez. It’s a spin-off of a popular telenovela called Juana la Virgen, and is sure to bring you to tears from laughter.

1. Gotham, FOX, Mondays, 8 p.m.

For any comic book fan, this drama introduces the beginning of the Batman saga from the view point of Gotham’s poster boy for law and order, Commissioner Gordon. It chronicles his rise from rookie detective to commissioner through the stories of his first encounters with famous Batman villains, including Catwoman, the Riddler, and the Penguin.

1. Red Band Society, FOX, Wednesdays, 9 p.m.

Get out your tissues, collegiettes. This tearjerker boasts a talented cast as well as heartfelt tales of six young patients in the pediatric ward of a hospital. If you loved The Fault in Our Stars, then you’ll love this coming-of-age story. 

1. Blackish, ABC, Wednesdays, 9:30 p.m.

Looking for a funny new sitcom to keep up with? ABC’s new comedy Blackish is about an African American upper-middle-class family living in the suburbs, dealing with the associated stereotypes. It’s the classic tale of family life that’s sure to keep you laughing.

I'm a junior Hospitality and Tourism Management major with a knack for writing. I can't get through the day without at least two cups of coffee and scrolling through my inspirational quotes pinboard.