5 Reasons Millennials Should Keep Up With the News

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Millennials are always glued to their cell phone, which allows instant access to anything we could ever want. But what sets our generation apart from previous generations is the unfamiliarity of news that happens in our everyday life. If it does not pop-up on our Facebook feed, chances are we have no idea it happened. Although most of the time Facebook can be a reliable news site, overlooking other new sources such as CNN, The New York Times, and other news outlets can be troublesome. Here are some reasons why:

Problem-Solving. Keeping up with the daily news will help with your everyday decisions. From staying away from certain products in the grocery store to enjoying a lavish vacation, keeping on track with the news will help you decide what to do with your life and where to do it!

Be more social. Yes, it is easy to keep social with popular social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. But what about the old fashion conversation? Knowing what is in the daily news is a great conversation starter when talking to anyone from your best friend to your grandma.

It is your civic duty. The majority of political backlash found on social media sites is heavily opinionated. Knowing what’s actually going on in politics will keep you an informed citizen, and keep you aware of the direction our country is taking!

References. Many times news sources use professionals in the certain topic that is being covered. If you want to know more about something, it is always helpful to follow up with the person interviewed in a news story to help you understand.

Motivation to take action. Knowing what is going on in the world could motivate you to speak up and get involved yourself. According to the American Press Institute, 35 percent of millennials who keep up with the daily news are inspired to take action. Keeping up with the daily news could inspire you to change the world.

Maintaining a healthy amount of current event knowledge involves looking at news sites other than popular social media. Taking the small steps to read the old-fashioned print newspaper (or the e-edition online) is all not that bad.  

Inspried journalist who loves to tell stories. Orginally from Charlotte, North Carolina.