5 Movies to Watch For a Good Cry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

As crazy as it sounds, we all need a good cry sometimes. Whether it’s that time of the month or maybe you feel connected and empathetic towards a character, films have the power to motivate us, educate us and let us escape to different places, good and bad. Some movies are so empowering and profound that they move us to tears. Here is a list of some of my go-to movies for when I’m in my feels.

The Help (2011)

I just recently watched this and I can’t even begin to tell you how much it moved me. It had such a powerful message about racial and gender inequality in the 1960s. It might not be based on a real story, but it’s heartfelt and eye-opening nonetheless. One great thing about this movie is the strong female protagonists who say whatever is on their minds. The Help is a well-rounded film; it will educate you, make you laugh and it will certainly make you ugly cry.

Coco (2017)

If you are a big Disney lover like me, Coco is such an adorable movie that has a great soundtrack to jam out to. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good Disney princess movie as much as the next person, but Coco is a completely different type of story. This movie puts a charming twist on the traditional Mexican holiday, Dia De Muertos. If you’re like me and try to guess what will happen before it does, let me stop you right there because I was completely off. I wept like a baby, but now Coco is one of my favorite Disney movies of all time.

The Last Song (2010)

This may sound completely basic but Nicholas Sparks sure knows how to rip our hearts out and crush them. With movies like The Notebook and The Best of Me, it’s no surprise that you’re gonna cry. The Last Song is one of my personal favorites, and I mean, come on, we got a Miley Cyrus bop out of it too. This movie is not only about romantic relationships, but it also touches on family relationships as well. There are plenty of revelations within the film that will leave you grabbing the tissue box. 

The Pursuit of Happiness (2006)

My dad first introduced me to this movie and it’s no wonder they play it in schools now (if your English class didn’t play this movie, did you really get the full experience?). I can’t tell you how many little, yet important life lessons this movie has taught me, and as corny as it sounds, I will carry this film with me forever. Life has its share of ups and downs; we all struggle from time to time and The Pursuit of Happiness has taught me how to make the best of it and keep on “pursuing” (get it?). You better have a couple of boxes of Puff Plus Lotion tissues because it’s a tear-jerker, but it is so necessary to watch, trust me.

Forrest Gump (1994)

I don’t have enough fingers to count how many times I have watched this movie, I could honestly cry just thinking about it. If you are a history buff like me, Forrest Gump really lives through it all and it’s a beautiful story about a man with a pure heart and an innocent mind. This movie will make your eyes sweat throughout the entire story, and you can never really go wrong with Mr. Tom Hanks. The music written for this particular film is so beautifully profound that it makes the movie even more of a classic. Forrest Gump can be a long film but I promise you, it’s worth it. It’s just one of those films that moved me and completely changed my perspective on a lot of things forever.

So whether you’re looking for a movie that has all the emotions wrapped in one, or just want to flat out ugly cry, I recommend putting on a good pair of sweats and grabbing a nice cozy blanket, and checking out these movies. More importantly, don’t forget the tissues!

Appalachian State senior Communication-Journalism Major with a minor in Apparel and Merchandising