5 Fun Things to do in Boone During October

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

It’s that time of year again! The leaves are changing and we can finally break out our favorite flannels, leggings and boots that have been collecting dust in our closets. October is quite possibly the best month of the year in Boone not only because it’s beautiful, but also because there is SO much to do. Here are a few ideas: 

1. Go to a corn maze or pumpkin patch… or both! New River Corn Maze and Pumpkin Patch is located just outside of Boone off of Hwy. 421 and it’s open Friday through Saturday from 10 AM to dark and Sunday from 1 PM to dark through Halloween. Go with your friends and then make it an afternoon of carving pumpkins and sipping on hot apple cider. My family has a tradition of baking the seeds afterwards; they make for a yummy and healthy fall treat.

2. The farmer’s market. Horn in the West hosts a local farmers market every Saturday morning until the end of November. In October, it is open 8 a.m. to noon and 9 a.m. to noon in November. Nothing says “fall” in the high country more than homemade jams and delicious breads. 

3. Take a trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway. My friends and I woke up early one morning this week to watch the sun rise on the parkway. I recommend going to the Linn Cove visitor’s center, just past the viaduct. There is an easy trail that takes you right above the viaduct and the view is incredible, here it is pictured below. Peak fall colors in Boone this year are supposed to be October 11-14, so that would be a great time to go. 

http://www.blueridgeparkwaydaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/viaduct-…

4. Pumpkin pancakes (and everything else). Sunrise Grill’s famous pumpkin pancakes are back and they are delicious! You can also find many pumpkin recipes online and bake pumpkin muffins or make a pie.

5. Haunted Tweetsie. If you want to do something more Halloween-themed, you’re never too old for Tweetsie Railroad. You can purchase tickets now for Ghost Train; it’s open every weekend as a part of Tweetsie’s annual Halloween Festival.

Make the most of this gorgeous fall weather collegiettes, because it won’t last long! 

http://www.thediaryofdaveswife.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Im-So-Glad…